Revolutionary War Project - ProTeacher Community

WSU10

Revolutionary War Project
Old 01-31-2011, 08:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am looking for some sort of project to complete in my social studies classes on the topic of the Revolutionary War. I will likely be starting it next week sometime after we take the test. Does anyone have any good ideas for a project that would take about a week to seven days to complete? We are limited with our computers and books are hard to come by on the topic.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Nancy/NH

Nancy/NH

RW Projects
Old 01-31-2011, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've done a Revolutionary War Coffee Table Book and an ABC book. For the coffee table book, I give them a list of topics and people that we've studied (Boston Massacre, Paul REvere's Ride, etc.) and large construction paper. For each page, they draw/paint a picture of that event/person and write a caption of 3-5 sentences.

WSU10

Old 01-31-2011, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I really like that idea. It's something that could be very unique to each class, I have 3 sections of social studies. I have a few questions.

Do you have a list that you would recommend for topics?

Did you let the kids work in pairs?

How did you bind the book?

Did you keep the book or let a student take it home?

How did you grade the final project? Individually?

trexteach

some suggestions
Old 02-01-2011, 07:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The kids could do different projects based on their ability levels:

Here are some examples:

-partners could create a Reader's Theater on the war

-write a diary or "A day in the life of..." of a colonial or British solder

--create a poetry book on various events that happened before, during, and after the war using a variety of different forms of poetry

--research one significant person and create a biography map on him/her

--partners or individuals could write an interview, as on a talk show, where the host interviews a member of the colonial and the British army. This could be performed for the classroom

--small groups of students could create a skit to represent a major event to perform for the classroom

mommasboys

Old 02-01-2011, 09:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My 5th graders make a Revolutionary War timeline that covers the important events during that period. I am too new a member to attach anything but if you send me your email address I will send you the PPT with directions.

WSU10

Old 02-01-2011, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you for the great suggestions. I think what I might do is offer a couple options for the students. I might give them the option to, as a class, create a whole book, I would bind it and then set it out for them to look at when completed. I would also offer the options for create a biography paper of a person or event of their choice, interview a famous person with a partner, or write a 7 day diary entry of a soldier.

Smartmouth

Old 02-03-2011, 03:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We do a colonial ABC book, which is a great project- and you could tell them that a certain number of pages has to have events, people, objects from the time period 1763-1782.

GabbyBobcat

there's a war on!
Old 02-14-2011, 01:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I had the most fun with this unit when I taught Social Studies. My favorite activity was allowing them to teach each other. They had several options, but most groups chose to do a skit that they had to write, make props for, and perform. I assigned each group a different tax, and they had to write their "lesson" that showed how the act came into being, and how it effected the people. The kids were so into it and really enjoyed themselves. We did some note-taking with each tax, and then they took a quiz to show what they had learned not only about their tax, but the taxes that the other groups shared.

Below is what I passed out to the kids:

American Revolution: Teaching Each Other about the Taxes

YOUR MISSION: With your group, you will read and learn about each of the different taxes. Then, you will design a creative way to teach the rest of the class about the Act.
THINGS TO REMEMBER: If you wouldn’t want to be taught by someone standing and talking in front of the class, then don’t teach it like that. Miss Smith’s Rule – you are not allowed to stand up in front of the class and just talk about the Act… get creative! Some ideas – a skit, a play, a game, posters/advertisements for the tax, etc…..

**** You have ONE class session to plan how you will teach
about the Act to the rest of the class****

GabbyBobcat

one more thing
Old 02-14-2011, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I created this WebQuest during my undergrad:

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~gs245403/...st_student.htm

It can be modified for any grade level. I know that you said you don't have the greatest access to computers, but you could do the WebQuest portion as a whole class.

ps - can you tell that this is my absolute favorite subject in Social Studies? I would teach it all year if I could!

4kidsmom

Rev. War Directions!
Old 04-13-2011, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Dear Mammasboys,
Hi, I'd love some directions for your project as well. I am fairly new to 5th grade, however in the previous school that I was at our 5th grade teachers did a "WAX MUSEUM" in which the kids had to take on a character from the war, researched him/her extensively then created a report or power point etc. They then dressed up as the character and "acted" them out as other grade levels/parents toured the museum. Kids would put tokens in a box and they would come to life. It was quite an undertaking but TOTALLY COOL! I'd like to take it on some year!
jschneid#mpsomaha

Last edited by 4kidsmom; 04-13-2011 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: forgot to say who it was to