Student unable to retain or recall information - ProTeacher Community

ecsmom

Student unable to retain or recall information
Old 02-09-2011, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a boy in my class who is as sweet as can be. This is his second year with me at his mom's request. I have tried everything I can think of to help him retain letters, numbers, sounds and shapes.
I am not an expert in learning disabilities or special ed. However, the problem seems to be with recognizing, retaining and recalling the shapes of things. At this point he only recognizes C which is the first letter of his name. He can copy from the board and has nice penmanship but he has no idea what he has written. He can memorize sentences in our leveled readers after hearing someone else read but he cannot read the sentences on his own or remember what the words were 5 mins later. Our K students receive no sp ed assistance, other than speech, even after being retained. Both the SpEd supervisor and the Title 1 coordinator are aware of my concerns and are willing to test him early in the 1st grade. I have explained all of this to his mother. I have also sent home many of my own materials for her to use with him at home. His grandmother works at out school as an IA but not in our classroom so she is also aware and willing to help. I do have a Title IA for 45 mins a day. She works one on one and in small groups with all the students and also administers the DIBELS.
The student seems perfectly normal in every other way and except for his disinterest in paper/pencil work, I couldn't ask for a better behaved student. He has a little brother in PreK who has exactly the same issues. Any and all ideas and suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

ecsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Brigid

Maybe this will help
Old 02-09-2011, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I had a little girl just like that last year (who also was retained). She was able to be tested in the Spring and it turned out that she had a significant auditory processing disorder. I have another child this year who seemed to be having the same difficulties (but without retention). I suggested to the mom to buy her a V-tech toy or a Leapfrog Toy that she could play with (and be learning with at the same time). The mom bought her one of those electronic toys for Christmas and it has made a world of difference! It's like the lightbulb went on and is staying on. I actually cried when I tested her for her first semester report card because she did amazingly well! Maybe something like that can help your student until he gets tested.
Brigid is offline   Reply With Quote

ecsmom

Old 02-09-2011, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll mention it to his mom and see if any of the other teachers have something like that for us to borrow.
ecsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

ThankaTchr

Wow I am going to try this too
Old 02-10-2011, 05:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have a similar little guy that doesn't ever answer me (but will talk with his table partners) but when I call on him he just stares at me. Even when he raises his hand to answer and I choose him - he blanks out! Not just an "oops I forgot" just a blank stare like he was raising his hand to use the restroom not answer the question...I love leap frog kids too You can always tell the difference on kids who have them. THANKS!
ThankaTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

teachinTX

Dvd
Old 02-11-2011, 08:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The Leap Frog Letter Factory DVD is excellent for teaching capital letters and sounds. I got mine from Walmart a few years go for $10.

teachinTX is offline   Reply With Quote

LilMsSunshine

I agree
Old 02-12-2011, 03:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

What about tracing activities? From day one, we have students trace letters in their independent alphabet books (during small group instruction). So, for A, there is a big a, little a, and a picture of an apple. Students trace the letters with their fingers and we read the page - "A, a, apple" ... and repeat for all the letters. I have a little girl who I believe also has processing problems and this really helped her - and the four other students who were struggling with letter recognition! These students would trace parts of the book (until their stamina built up and we could do the whole book quickly) two times a day - once with me and once with an assistant.

I saw a fun activity this year (and hope to make it for next year). It is a printable activity I found on the web where upper and lowercase letters are made with what looks like road. Students can use toy cars and "trace" or drive on the roads while naming letters.

I agree about the Letter Factory DVD! It is entertaining, and my daughters never got tired of it - and they knew their letters and sounds! A great suggestion for him to use and watch at home - great for his brother too!
LilMsSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote

On the go!

Alphabet Activity
Old 02-16-2011, 09:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have a similar little guy and will definitely purchase the Letter Factory DVD. Tell me more about the printable activity you found on the web. I am interested in using something like this in my class. It is the one where upper and lowercase letters are made with what looks like a road.
On the go! is offline   Reply With Quote