introducing read to someone - ProTeacher Community

BMc

introducing read to someone
Old 02-20-2011, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am reluctant to add read to someone with my busy, chatty classroom. Our read to self, word work and work on writing are going great. Any tips to keep the flow going?

BMc is offline   Reply With Quote

yumateach99

Practice, practice, practice
Old 02-20-2011, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Like all the others, read to someone takes a lot of modeling, practice, and reflection to make it work. I think you and your students will both love it once you get it up and running. Remember to give your students clear instructions and model what read to someone should and should not look like. Good luck!
yumateach99 is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherShan

my students love it
Old 02-21-2011, 05:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I modeled a lot and I also picked partners until we got our stamina up to 10 minutes. It was a big goal of ours then to get to 10 minutes. We also talk about how to get with a partner (how you can hurt someones feelings by what you say), etc. I have a chatty class and mostly I think they are chatty because they want to share about their books. I find them talking during read to self mostly because they found something in the book they want to share.
teacherShan is offline   Reply With Quote

wsteach

Decreased Chattiness
Old 02-21-2011, 06:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I found that the off-topic chattiness has greatly decreased since adding Read to Someone. My class is very chatty, and I had the same reservations that you do when I started D5. They still get a chance to chat (because I have them update their partner on what is happening in their book before starting to read), and surprisingly they stay on topic. I also found that reading aloud gives them a chance to hear their voice, and that's really what they want. Hopefully, you'll find the same miracle with your class!
wsteach is offline   Reply With Quote

NCbeach10

read to someone
Old 02-21-2011, 08:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with the above responses and only want to add that in the beginning I would only teach them the Read to Someone check for understanding (1 book, 2 readers, 1st reader reads then the 2nd the listener does the comprehension check, switch roles). Then as the grow and build stamina introduce the others one at a time. I had a co-teacher who never introduce the others until the end of the school year...she felt her class couldn't handle them. Last year, I indroduced them all, we practiced them all and my kids choose. This year I've only done check for understanding and read for fluency.

You know your class best and what words for you.

Good luck!

NCbeach10 is offline   Reply With Quote

motherduck92

My class lives for Read with Someone!
Old 02-21-2011, 12:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If their Stamina levels drop or their Independence wanes, I take Read with Someone away from them as a consequence and that just snaps them back to their goals! My class is very chatty, too (we're kindergarten), and we're low-functioning as well. But, as with the other options, I modeled, and we practiced, practiced, practiced until we got it. Then, I let them know I trust them to do what they are supposed to do. When they demonstrate that they are not following independent, Read with Someone goals and not displaying the expected stamina, I take this option away from those who can't handle it. As soon as they build back stamina and independence (and their trust with me again), they earn back the choice. This works for us!
motherduck92 is offline   Reply With Quote