Help

ARCHIVE

100 days activities for older kids

>

fan4iu

100 days activities for older kids
Old 01-29-2007, 10:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi! Does anyone have any 100 day activities that aren't for such young children? My 4th graders like to flip a coin 100 times, and roll a die 100 times, which works well with our probability chapter in math. Does anyone have anything else?

fan4iu is offline   Reply With Quote

Mr. K

100th day
Old 01-29-2007, 02:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

There is a Carson & Dellossa reproducible book about using the 100's chart. We use it to find range, median, mode, etc., or solve computation with decimals...good review for "the test." (Students solve the problems and then shade in the answers on the chart, sometimes into a design and sometimes not.) You could easily make up your own to go along with what your students need to review.

I give the kids store ads and they have to spend $100. They must cut and glue the photos of what they buy and then complete the computation off to the side.

I write the numbers from 1-100 on index cards and place them in the middle of our sheet parachute. After the kids flip all of the cards off of the sheet, they collect several off of the floor. They must then find the range, median, mode, and mean of their data. They then work with a partner to correct each other's work.

they draw a picture of what they will look like in 100 years and then write about it.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote

cynthiatn

Old 01-29-2007, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach 1st, but a 4th grade teacher at my school had her class write a book called 100 Things We Have Learned. They figured out how many pages each child needed to do to make 100. Then one each page they wrote "In the first 100 days of school I learned..." They also illustrated their pages. It made a really cute book, and also was great to show how much they had learned so far.
cynthiatn is offline   Reply With Quote

tnteach

100th Day
Old 02-02-2007, 10:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

What great ideas! Even though our 100th day was last week, I'm putting your ideas in my file for next year.

Thanks for sharing.
tnteach is offline   Reply With Quote

tammych

Old 02-02-2007, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I found logic problems using a hundred chart at www.mathwire.com. They have lots of ideas for all levels. I tried to attach them but the files are too large, sorry. Excellent site!!!!
Hopefully someone finds them useful.
You could also do predictions: how long would it take to do certain things 100 times, how far would 100 of something go, ...
Creative writing: what will things be like in 100 years

tammych is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherCarrie

Old 02-03-2007, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

These activities are simple and quick...I did them last year and this year due to the fact that my kids seemed to enjoy it. It made it easy to include it in to the regular day without taking out too much time from testing (which goodness knows, I'd get busted for by somebody for doing).

1. Predict how long it would take to do 100 jumping jacks. Then, go outside and try it. Both times the kids have over estimated but quite a bit...so they think it's crazy to find out how long it really does take.

2. Predict how far you will get walking out of the room using 100 steps. The playground is right outside of our room. So, I have them walk out towards the basketball courts. Many of them guess way way way too far out and again are amazed at how little 100 steps really is.

3. Draw pictures of how you think you will look at 100 years old. These are always hilarious and very creative.
TeacherCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote