Guided Reading in Kindergarten - ProTeacher Community

lmberzowski

Guided Reading in Kindergarten
Old 02-27-2011, 05:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

There is a big debate in my district right now. I would like some thoughts from everyone about end of year guided reading level and possible kindergarten reading curriculum. What is your end of the year expected guided reading level in kindergarten? What, if any, reading curriculum does your district use? Do you have a specific purchased curriculum?

lmberzowski is offline   Reply With Quote

heatherk

level C
Old 02-27-2011, 07:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We do guided reading in kindergarten, though we tend not to start until mid-October/Early November as it takes a long time to get kids independent enough in centers to begin pulling reading groups. We do not have a specific guided reading curriculum. My district does use Scott Foresman for language arts, though it has been drilled into us that it is a resource and we are not to teach it from the manual. The SF for kindergarten does come with some little readers, though they are not leveled. I use some of them. My school has a great book room with at least 20 titles per level. We also have a subscription to reading a-z.com which allows you to print leveled readers and coordinating lesson plans and activities.
We do guided reading in the style of Fountas and Pinnell and have watched videos of them doing guided reading. We use their leveling system (A-Z). The end of the year K expectation is a level C, though of course, they do not all get there. Also, many of them that make it to a C are not on a C by the next September as kids lose so much over the summer.
heatherk is offline   Reply With Quote

MissKayla

Old 02-27-2011, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We just started implementing Guided Reading this year, and so far it's been a really good experience. We have a great bookroom as well, with well over 50 titles per level, so there's an endless supply of options pretty much.

Our kids are expected to be at a level D by the end of the year, but I know with my low kids that may not happen. They're in a low B right now, so I hope to get them into a high C by the end of the year. We don't have a Guided Reading curriculum, but we use CScope and Texas Treasures. Overall, I feel my kids are definitely a lot stronger in all areas this year, and I base a large part of that on Guided Reading.

Last edited by MissKayla; 02-27-2011 at 01:25 PM..
MissKayla is offline   Reply With Quote

chewiefairy

Old 02-27-2011, 11:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We use making meaning for a reading curriculum, but follow the balanced/comprehensive literacy approach for our entire day. We have the minimum level of a 3/4 (which is level C in FP) for our expectations by the end of the year. Our expectations go from level 0/AA in Oct., to level 1/A in Dec., to level 2/B in mid-March to 3/4/C by end of May.
chewiefairy is offline   Reply With Quote

time4learning

I love Guided Reading!!
Old 02-27-2011, 12:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This is my 3rd year implementing guided reading in my classroom and what a difference it makes! I teach in Texas and we use the CSCOPE Curriculum however we use zoo phonics to introduced the letters (2 letters a week). The end of the year reading level at our district is a 4. I currently have most of my students (60%) at a 4-D or above. My personal goal is to try and get them to a 6-E/F by the end of the year. My other 3 are at a level B and C so I am confident I can get them to a 4.

time4learning is offline   Reply With Quote

tchr

Guided Reading
Old 02-28-2011, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My kindergarteners are expected to read at an independent C by the end of the year. We don't use a specific curriculum, but the district is thinking of buying Pathways. Has anyone heard of that?
tchr is offline   Reply With Quote

tchr45th

reading in K
Old 03-01-2011, 06:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I took an intervention position. I was told K does not need to read by the end of year--just know sounds. Right! We also have aimsweb--1st graders are expected to read straightaway on aims testing! So to say K don't need to know how to read is an understatement. Struggling readers need even more support to read by the end of K or they will be even further behind. Furthermore, the leveled support readers for treasures most definitely requires 1st to have reading ability! I was looking at one of the little books for the 4th week of 1st grade--there is no way a non reading 1st grader could leap to that level in 4th wks.

I think it is time for general acceptance that K need to learn to read and should be reading by June. To not have this standard puts these children further at risk. Unfortunately, whether we like it or not, or agree with the rigor now given to these little children, it is the reality of standards. WHat is worse? Our rigorous standards, or having these students always reading below level and falling further and further behind? That alone can diminish confidence and self image as a reader from which they may never recover.
tchr45th is offline   Reply With Quote

coffeebabe

Level 4
Old 03-02-2011, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We have been doing guided reading for the 7 years that I have taught kindergarten. Our goal in the past has always been a 1/2 level by then end of the year. This year we are told that we need to be at a level 4 by the end of the year(rigby). We have HM but have transistion into readers workshop this year. I think all kinders should be reading by june but when 50 percent of my class is ELL it is very difficult to get them there. Especially when they come in not recognizing their own name.
coffeebabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Schoolgirl

Okay...
Old 03-02-2011, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

At the risk of being seen as incompetent... We use Storytown for our basal, and we have a list of 86 sight words we would like our kids to know as much as possible before 1st grade. I guess my feelings of inadequacy are coming from all the information and data you have on your kids. My daily "guided" reading consists of tracking print left to right and word by word, one to one matching, using picture cues, applying letter and sound knowledge in context, activating prior knowledge, recognizing and reading sight words, predicting and inferring, attending to concepts of print (spacing, capitalization, punctuation), retelling a story with sequence and story elements (characters, setting, beginning, middle, end), self correcting. Summed up in phonemic awareness lesson, phonics, comprehension, and sight word game. I am doing the daily 5 with my kiddos but I have no clue where they are on a leveled continuum. All I know is that the first grade teachers expectations are that the incoming students are to know the 86 words and be able to read them in a two minute time period. Any suggestions on where to start? Thanks and sorry so long. :}
Schoolgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

oeoeo

Old 03-02-2011, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

WOW! 86 words- As a 1st grade teacher (looping K-1 next year) that is amazing. We have about 30 word wall words from the K basal plus color and number words. In 4 years with those expectations we rarely have more than 25 % who actually can do it.
oeoeo is offline   Reply With Quote

lmberzowski

Dilemma
Old 03-03-2011, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

The dilemma for my district is 16 kindergarten teachers will different expectations. Some feel it is not developmentally appropriate for kindergarten students to read, other feel that should be at a level C. Current expectation is level A and they feel that is okay. We are currently redoing our curriculum and I was looking for good resources or programs? We do not have a consistent sight word list and everyone is basically doing their own thing at each of the five schools. Thanks for the input.
lmberzowski is offline   Reply With Quote

teachinTX

Reading
Old 03-03-2011, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

My expected levels are like Chewie Fairy's. Most of my kids will be at a C or above (already have 9 at C or above now and 3 more are at B). Most of them maintain their levels over the summer; a few actually move up. Only one or two will slide back over the summer. I do tons of phonemic awareness work. I don't use a basal other than pulling some of the phonemic awareness activities. I use Reading A to Z as my primary leveled reader resource. Normally my kids read 4 books each week, Mon.-Thurs. I only have two students that I am putting in the same book for 2 days at a time. I start using homemade books the first day of school in a shared reading type way, focusing on left to right, one- to-one correspondence, etc. After the third week of school, I assess levels and move the kids that are ready into guided reading with the a to z leveled books. I assess levels every 3 weeks. I have 7 reading groups right now, and meet to read with each group daily. We use DIBELS to find our at risk children, and I do intervention with my reds and yellows, usually Mon.-Thurs., with Friday set aside for progress monitoring and assessments.
teachinTX is offline   Reply With Quote

star3383

Kindergarten Lesson Plans?
Old 09-15-2011, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I currently work in a county and state that does want the students on an independent reading level d by the end of the year. I am starting my year out and I have no idea what to do my kids are soooooo super low that we are really working hard just to learn letters let alone how to read so does anyone have a kindergarten apperiate lesson plan to offer up. I am having a really hard time.

Katie
star3383 is offline   Reply With Quote
kepteach

kepteach

D
Old 02-11-2012, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

We do guided reading and have a large bookroom for choosing titles from. We follow balanced literacy and pull a lot of our resources from Fountas and Pinnell. My literacy coordinator at my school wants kindergarten to be reading at a level D by the end of the year (this is not a district-wide expectation, but is a goal of hers). My principal does realize that is not realistic for all Ks. I personally will be happy if all of them could be reading at a C4 by the end of the year. Currently all of mine are reading at a C or higher except for 4 (2 of which are in RTI). My highest group is at an E right now. As for sight words, we have 27 basic words that students must know by the end of kindergarten..in all we introduce 100 throughout the course of the year, but mastery is only expected on the 27..