Report Card Comments - ProTeacher Community

dboogieluv

Report Card Comments
Old 03-06-2011, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My principal is a stickler for report card comments. She doesn’t want comments like your child is a good student or a lovely boy. She wants us to write how the parents can help their kids at home (which is ridiculous because only 8 of my parents speak English!) in a space that is approximately 1 x 3 inches. Does anyone have any very succinct comments on how to help a first grader with math or reading (and comments like "be certain to read with your child for 20 minutes each night" is unacceptable to her.) Thank you --- any ideas will be appreciated!

dboogieluv is offline   Reply With Quote

tangerine

Old 03-06-2011, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

"Johnny is struggling with skip counting. Please practice counting pennies by 2's, nickels by 5's, and dimes by 10's."

"Suzie continues to struggle with vocabulary word recognition. Please be sure to practice her vocab flashcards nightly."

"Fluency seems to be an issue for Patty. I recommend echo reading at home - you read to her and then she points to the words and rereads the page to you."

Would those work?

Or.....how about this? "I am concerned about Billy's progress in reading, and have prepared/sent home some materials that you can use at home. If you have any questions in how to use them, I'd be happy to meet with you at your convenience."

or even..... "I am concerned about Sally's progress in math, and would like to meet with you to go over some strategies at home that you can use with her. Please let me know when you are available to meet."

Especially with my hard cases in terms of parents don't respond to extra practice being sent home or grades taking a big dive, I like to put in the comments that I would like to meet and put some of it back on them to meet with me. I find that many parents just ignore my polite request-for-conference notes. I usually get a better response when it's on the report card AND then I have documentation that the Principal sees that I am providing materials/suggestions.

I hope some of that might help, but it does sound like your principal is looking for something very specific. Does she give you any examples?

~Tangerine
tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote

laurat426

Old 03-06-2011, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I hope this link works:

http://www.kellybear.com/TeacherArti...cherTip67.html

If not, search for Teacher Comments on Report Cards By Leah Davies, M.Ed.

I use this when I am stuck
laurat426 is offline   Reply With Quote

dboogieluv

Comments
Old 03-09-2011, 09:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

She does give examples, but nothing that I can fit in the small space on the report card. She also knows nothing about early childhood education. Ironically, I only have 8 parents who speak English so unless I'm meeting them in person with an interpreter, it is useless. Thank you so much! Your comments are great and right on the button!
dboogieluv is offline   Reply With Quote