Ideas needed for a Writing Camp - ProTeacher Community

GiantSubs

Ideas needed for a Writing Camp
Old 03-06-2011, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've been asked to teach a Writing Camp this summer and need some ideas that I don't already use in the classroom. What is your favorite writing activity for 4-6 graders?

GiantSubs is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Can you get cameras to use?
Old 03-06-2011, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Take pictures outside. Then write haiku to go with the pictures of trees, flowers, birds....
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

curlygirl2

Or do the play doh
Old 03-07-2011, 04:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

posted a while back... kids play with play doh to create a pencil holder...brings them through the writing process...writing process is compared to the process an artist goes through while sculpting.

I think it was from the writing or grade 5 board...not sure. Can someone else link it? The kids LOVED it!
curlygirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Idea
Old 03-07-2011, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Change a picture book into a script for a reader's theater and then perform them in class. You could do one with them first as a whole class to model.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

snacktime18

Old 03-09-2011, 09:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I start with one word. The word usually is an idea, expressive and open-ended. For example "anger." The students write this word in the middle of page. Next, I have a one minute timer. They write any and all words or ideas that come to mind when thinking of anger. No more than three words to describe idea. Next I give them 30 seconds to choose one word or idea from the list they created. We repeat the one minute drill. The list after the one minute is the list students choose the topic they will write about for 5 minutes. They may choose any format - lists, paragraph, individual sentences, etc. After the five minutes we go back to the first list we created (the list with "anger" at center). They have 30 seconds to choose what they will write about from this list. Again, they have 5 minutes to write about this topic using any format they choose.
Next, I give them 3 minutes to decide how they will merge the two topics they wrote about for 5 minutes each. They can choose any structured writing to accomplish this - short story, friendly letter, instructions, thank you note, etc. They will then have 10 minutes to complete the "merger."

The first time I do this I do not tell them whats going on we just go step-by-step. This ensures that the students do not pick very compatible topics. Subsequent times I will give them the central word for the second list and have it be the opposite of first. Other times I will have them do three or four five minutes writes and I say "Final wriing is a merger of 2 and 3."

I really enjoy this activity because it enables students to learn how they organize thier writing. They also learn what they enjoy writing.

I hope this helps, have a great time planning and executing your camp.

snacktime18 is offline   Reply With Quote

tangolily

Integrate?
Old 03-10-2011, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Might want to look into integrating art and writing for a different approach. Here is one resource: The Power of Pictures: Creating Pathways to Literacy through Art, by Beth Olshansky.
tangolily is online now   Reply With Quote

cluu777

Candy Bar Stories
Old 03-14-2011, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We brainstorm all types of candy and then they write a story using the candy name for people, places or things. It helps them with their creativity and narrative/fantasy writing skills. My 5th grade students always say this is their favorite writing activity of the year.
Hope this is what you are looking for.
cluu777 is offline   Reply With Quote

MissS

Eggciting Writing
Old 04-10-2011, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Egg writing is always a HUGE hit in my classroom....the gist is I have two eggs....one sits in a container on my desk...the other one I hold/hide as I ask the students to circle up and take out their writing books. Once the room has quieted down, I don't say anything and throw the egg on the floor. I stay silent and listen to their reaction for a few minutes....it's usually "she's lost her mind" types of comments for a few minutes. I then hand out perspective cards where they need to create the story....perspectives such as:

You are the egg
You are me
You are the farmer
You are the chicken
You are the other egg

I add in some sentences to go along with each card to somewhat prompt them along, but the sky is the limit and their imagination runs wild with this activity....I don't give much spoken feedback through it all....I stay silent so I can just gauge them.
MissS is offline   Reply With Quote

dan4th

quick approach
Old 04-27-2011, 07:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

If you need a quick, canned approach you might look at Writing With Writers. It covers writing 8 genres and lets kids publish online. Free

http://teacher.scholastic.com/writewit/index.htm
dan4th is offline   Reply With Quote