Dry scalp or lice? - ProTeacher Community

JasinaD

JasinaD

Dry scalp or lice?
Old 03-08-2011, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm single and have no one to check my scalp!!! I think I'm jumping to conclusions, here, but still...I had a kid lean into me today really closely and immediately thought, "LICE!" My head has been itching ever since! I think I'm just nuts, but is there any way to tell if I have just a dry, itchy scalp rather than nits?

YUCK!

Ria

Old 03-08-2011, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Nits will stick to your hair and will usually be found closer to your scalp unless they have grown out. Dry scalp is flaky. My guess is that you have what we call "psychological head lice" at our house!

linda2671

Iagree with Ria.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've taught for 20 years. I've seen lots of kids with lice. I actually had one kid that I could see hundreds of lice crawling in her hair while I was doing a running record. I have never gotten lice from any of my kids, but I always itch for days after I have a case of lice in my room. I have gone to our school nurse to have her check my head more than a few times.

fish2

Old 03-08-2011, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My head always itches on the days we have school wide lice checks! I've have many kiddos with lice but have never gotten them myself. Luck (and probably hair spray!) have helped!!!

canteach

I agree with Linda & Ria
Old 03-08-2011, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have taught for 32 yrs with many cases of head lice, often recurring cases, among primary kids who do not hesitate to get close to their teacher. I have never had it myself, but have had that "psychological" type many times. I also ask the nurse, another teacher or DH to check my head. If you are really worried get the shampoo and either keep it handy or just use it.

shelliebean

I also agree
Old 03-08-2011, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

with Ria. Recently there were several cases of lice in my class. I itched for days. I researched the topic and lice eggs or nits will stick to the hair shaft and dry scalp flakes are easily removed. The school nurse is a good option or maybe a co-worker can take a look. If you prefer not to do this the local health department is also an option, I know a few parents took their children to the health department when they were unsure of how to check their heads. Hope this helps. There is also a shampoo which is supposed to help repel lice, it is called Lice Shield and is sold at most chains like Walmart and Target.

bGracie

Old 03-08-2011, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I could be wrong, but I don't think you would be able to feel any itching yet since the student you mentioned just came close to you today.

sevenplus

Old 03-09-2011, 10:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I agree with Gracie. If a louse happened to crawl onto your head today, you wouldn't be itching yet. The itching usually takes quite some time to begin - after they've been there for a while. Of course, my head is itching just reading this thread!

If you are really paranoid, buy a nit comb and thoroughly go over your whole head (section off the hair).

tish

Old 03-10-2011, 05:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have since retired, but this is what I did to be sure that I did not have lice.
Materials:
nit comb
piece of black construction paper
good magnifying glass
I would go to the bathroom at home and lean over the tub. With black paper held close to my head, comb hair with nit comb and then use magnifying glass to check out the situation.
I never did get the lice, but just doing this calmed my nerves.