Students who take forever to complete everything - ProTeacher Community

Jule

Students who take forever to complete everything
Old 03-15-2011, 09:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

These students seem to have no concept of time. It's not that they are daydreaming or playing around, they just have no sense of urgency to complete an assignment. This transfers to their recreation activities too, walking to the cafeteria, eating their snacks. And their parents report the same behavior at home. I've starting using an incentive sticker chart and that's working with someone of them and I do let them complete fewer problems. Is there a name for this? Is there a cure? Is there something to test for?

Jule is offline   Reply With Quote

bzybee

no sense of urgency
Old 03-17-2011, 04:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I see it at school and at home. The only thing that I have found that works at school is to give the kids a set ammount of time to complete something. If it isn't completed it goes into a folder for later. Every Friday we have fun Friday at the end of the day where only the kids who have finished everything can participate. Sometimes we watch a short video, sometimes we go outside, sometimes we play a math game or trivia game or do an art project. The ones who haven't finished either stay in the room with the aide or go to another empty room with her until all their work for the week is finished. It has helped some of the kids. It is amzaing how much more urgent the work seems when you are missing something. I will also send kids back if what they turn in is not quality.
You can't wait all day for some kids.The quick finishers can only read or do center activities for so long without getting into trouble.
bzybee is offline   Reply With Quote

Frenzied1stgr

Timer
Old 03-17-2011, 07:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I set a timer, and tell/show them on the clock how long they have to work. When the timer goes off they have to put it in the hand in basket. I correct what they have done and write Please Finish and Return on the top. I have sent a note home to parents that their first grader my have homework because it was not completed in the amount of time they had. I also stress that they have plenty of time to get the work done and it is a choice that they are making. A few times of having homework and not getting to play after school at home usually cures the pokey Pete's and Penelope's of my first grade.

Sometimes I set a timer after about 2/3rds of the class is done with the assignment that helps the other ones get done quicker. I only shorten assignments if it is in their IEPs. I don't want the kids thinking that if they take their "sweet" time they won't have to do as much as everyone else. Not fair to the others and NOT fair to their own brains.
Frenzied1stgr is offline   Reply With Quote

Jule

Old 03-17-2011, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Great Responses,

Thank you.
Jule is offline   Reply With Quote