third person omniscient - ProTeacher Community

cr8tiv

third person omniscient
Old 03-23-2011, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have any lessons, powerpoints, smartboard lessons on this subject? This is a hard concept to get across.

Thanks!

cr8tiv is offline   Reply With Quote

ajmm115

notes
Old 03-24-2011, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Are you required to cover omniscient or is it a choice you made yourself? I ask because I do have board notes for o.p.'s or smartboards but they're for 8th and 10th grade, and novel specific. I'd hate to have to cover that in lower grades.

Still, if you want to see one set of them, I'll hunt them down.
ajmm115 is offline   Reply With Quote

la44utk

It's a standard...
Old 03-26-2011, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

in TN in fifth grade! VERY hard to explain!
la44utk is offline   Reply With Quote

magnolia57

Old 03-26-2011, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It's a standard in 5th grade in South Carolina too. You can search and search but all you find is stuff for high school.

What my colleagues and I are constantly looking for are written passages that require students to choose, direct or indirect. We need some practice! I found a notebook with only one example on the Smart Technologies website, but that is not nearly enough.

We took our current novel and sat down on the floor to find examples of each. It was HARD. We talked each example someone found and discussed what made it indirect or direct etc.

I'd still like some examples.
magnolia57 is offline   Reply With Quote

cr8tiv

third person omniscient
Old 03-27-2011, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Please I really would love to see them! I have a high group but it is oh so hard!

cr8tiv is offline   Reply With Quote

ajmm115

7th
Old 03-29-2011, 05:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I did come across one for 7th that I'd forgotten about. It's only one page. I'll look later today and see if I can find some others. Like all the others that I have, it assumes some knowledge of verb tense too.

I found a much longer high school version but it is way too difficult for 5th and really follows the general pattern of this short one anyway. It blends in terms like "impact", "tone", and "imperative", and was for an honors sophomore. (And I'd have to work with it a lot because of its old WORD version.)

With hopes that this might give you at least one more idea to use, here it is. Good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Point of View.doc (21.5 KB, 116 views)
ajmm115 is offline   Reply With Quote

swilliams214

Point of View
Old 03-29-2011, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I did this lesson with my 5th graders earlier this year and they had a really good time and seemed to grasp the concept. I went over the powerpoint with them and had them take notes. After the powerpoint (at the slide that says "Let's Put It to the Test") I placed about 3 books at each group of tables and the students had to figure out what point of view each novel was written in. I told the students to just open to a random page, read a couple sentences out loud, then flip to a new random page, and repeat these steps a few times for each book (this way they can see if another character comes in anywhere). As a group decide which point of view you think it was written in. After a couple minutes, they switched to the next group of tables and books and did the same for that set. After four rotations they had seen all the books and written down their answers and we went over them together. The answers are in the powerpoint. I used books I had in my classroom library or from the media center, but you can use anything. I hope this all makes sense and helps! I can't seem to attach the powerpoint but if you email me at sabra_williams#scps.k12.fl.us I will email it to you.
swilliams214 is offline   Reply With Quote

schoolgirl3

A quick activity
Old 04-01-2011, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I select one student (Mr/Ms. 3rd person) to go OUTSIDE (into the hallway) and look into the room through the window. We all move around the room for about 45 seconds. (Talking, sleeping, sharpening pencil. They get really creative the more you do this.) Then I invite the student back into the room to share what he/she observed. (Tell the story 3rd person POV)
Next, I have the student call on a couple students, one at a time, and say "If I were omniscent what would I have known about what you were thinking or feeling?" Then the students share thoughts or feelings. (Be careful to mention that being omiscient, you would know the thoughts and/or feelings of all characters in the story. We teach 3rd person limited and omniscient.)
The kids really like doing this, and it leads to a great discussion about how 3rd person omniscient provides the most information for the reader.
I also make a point to ask kids where was Mr./Ms. 3rd person? They respond - outside the story.
Nothing fancy, but it works.
schoolgirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote

jorgefuriouso

The novel Poppy, by Avi,
Old 04-02-2011, 06:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

is written in the third person ominiscient, as we can alternatively see from both main characters' points of view. Interesting to see how the author pulls it off. It's also a terrific book for teaching kinds of conflict and descriptive writing.
jorgefuriouso is offline   Reply With Quote