Author's Perspective - ProTeacher Community

Infiniti Girl

Author's Perspective
Old 03-25-2011, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am in need of ideas to teach my 5th graders Author's Perspective. My Macmillan teachers guide offers little and I have searched and found little to nothing. There is tons out there on Author's purpose but that is not the same as author's perspective. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Infiniti Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

parker

Author's Viewpoint
Old 03-25-2011, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Maybe some of this will help. I cobbled it all together from previous posts, info from other websites and work we do in my class. Hope it formats correctly.

Author's point of view questions can be addressed by having students first determine the author's purpose...let's say it's to inform...what does the author want to inform the reader about? bears? well, what about bears? What does the author think about bears? What does the author want to convince the reader about bears? Are they all evil killing machines? How do you know? What does the author say to make you think that? Are they peaceful creatures that just want to be left alone? How do you know? What does the author say to make you think that? Is there anything else the author wants the reader to know about bears? Is their habitat being lost? Does he want the reader to help save the bears habitat? How do you know? What does the author say to make you think so? What do you know about bears that the author left out? etc.
Then move on to pull out and examine the evidence in the text. What facts, opinions, visuals, words does the author use to present their viewpoint?

Questions for students from an internet site:
Questions that help students explore authorís viewpoint:
What opinions or belief statements are evident in the article?
Why do you think the author has this particular opinion or point of view?
What background information about the author does the reader have that may help understand the writerís point of view? (Point of reference) Would another author have a different point of view depending on his/her background experiences?
What pictures does the author paint for a reader?
What evidence did the author include to support their opinions?
What facts were missing?
What words and phrases did the author use to present the information? (Students collect samples of the language an author uses to identify the context in which ideas are presented.)
Why did the author write this selection? Identifying the authorís purpose helps students recognize possible viewpoints, especially in persuasive writing.

Notes for students & Anchor Chart
Author's viewpoint is what the author thinks or feels about his or her subject. Readers can often figure out the author's viewpoint by thinking about the facts and opinions given in the selection, the language the author uses, and the author's purpose for writing (to inform, to entertain, to persuade).
Identifying the author's viewpoint is an important life skill because it helps a reader understand why the author is interested in the subject, what the author thinks about the topic and what the author may want you to think.
Make the following a 3 column chart:
Negative Viewpoint:negative words, negative facts
Neutral Viewpoint: very few opnions, factual information
Positive Viewpoint: positive words, positive facts

Another set of notes:
Authorís Viewpoint

Authorís viewpoint is how an author thinks or feels about a subject.
You can use the following to help you infer an authorís viewpoint.
The authorís opinion
The words the author chooses
The facts the author includes
The authorís purpose for writing
parker is offline   Reply With Quote

tcb365

An activity my 5th Graders are doing....
Old 03-26-2011, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We talked about author's viewpoint for the first time last week. This week we're reading Dear Mr. Henshaw and covering it again.

On Wed. or Thursday, my students are going to pick a topic covered in this story - writing, divorce, lunches, stealing, etc. and find information from the story that helps you determine the author's viewpoint. They're going to write this info in thought bubbles that they cut out and draw a picture from the story to which they'll attach the thought bubbles.

At least that's the plan... It may get tweaked, as I'm not finished lesson planning yet.

Perhaps you could do that with one of your student's reading stories.
tcb365 is offline   Reply With Quote

Infiniti Girl

Author's Point of view
Old 04-01-2011, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you so much! I appreciate the ides
Infiniti Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

McCub

Thank you...
Old 06-15-2011, 08:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

...for the time and care you took to do this. I'm sure it will come in handy this coming year!!

McCub is offline   Reply With Quote

Girujosi

Author's Viewpoint
Old 07-30-2011, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This is just what I needed! This is a new tested skill on our state assessment and our reading series does not address it well. Thank you for the help!
Girujosi is offline   Reply With Quote

sin12413

Author's Viewpoint
Old 04-27-2013, 09:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you so much for sharing this information. This is really going to help my students that are going to retake their state assessment. This is extensively covered in our state assessment. Your information is going to help me clear up the misconception they have about Author's Viewpoint and Author's Purpose.
sin12413 is offline   Reply With Quote