Gift for student teacher - ProTeacher Community

Ms. J

Gift for student teacher
Old 02-05-2007, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My student teacher's teaching experience will be wrapping up in about two weeks. Any ideas for an inexpensive yet meaningful gift from the students and me? Thanks ahead of time!

Ms. J is offline   Reply With Quote

Eydie

I still have mine!
Old 02-05-2007, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I still have the gift from my student teaching experience. The class gave me a read aloud childrens' poetry book, ' Beneath the Blue Umbrella' All 23 of the children signed it. I have read and enjoyed this book with 15 classes of students since!

My Cooperating teacher also quietly collected an any amount donation from the kids and she purchased a gift card to on e of the local teacher stores. It was very nice to have when buyiong for my own classroom!
Eydie is offline   Reply With Quote
new1stteacher

new1stteacher

student teacher gift
Old 02-05-2007, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My mentor teacher painted a bell white and painted teacher symbols and my name on it. I use it everyday!

Jackie2

teacher tips
Old 02-05-2007, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We made a book for my student teacher before she left. Each child wrote a 'teacher tip' so she can always remember to be a good teacher. They were so cute ~ like Always remember to come to school, Don't forget to smile, Rember to have fun at school~

I also gave her a goodie basket with gift certificates to our local school supply store, Starbucks, and some goodies for her new classroom. She seemed to really all of it.
Jackie2 is offline   Reply With Quote

gmbennett

gift
Old 02-05-2007, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We usually write a story featuring the student teacher and the kids. I also take a photo and print in into 5 X 7 and put it in a frame. I send a note home with the kids telling parents they can send in items for a gift basket. After parent contributions it is usually overflowing with office/teacher supplies.

gmbennett is offline   Reply With Quote

mjh96

Old 02-05-2007, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I gave my student teacher a bag with her name embroidered on, and a book by the kids. The bag was inexpensive--I think about $15 at Lillian Vernon. For the book, I gave each kid a page with space to write their favorite memory and their best advice on how to be a good teacher. I even had my principal make a page for her. On the cover, I put a picture of the whole class. The book turned out great, and she loved both that and the bag.
mjh96 is offline   Reply With Quote

KerryCT3

Old 02-05-2007, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It would be nice if the kids wrote about their favorite memories with the student teacher, and maybe you could compile them together and make it into a book. My cooperating teacher also gave me a huge basket with supplies she knew it would need. You could put in pencils, pens, post-its, EZ-Grader, a book relating to teaching etc.
KerryCT3 is offline   Reply With Quote

pmac

Old 02-05-2007, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

my kids wrote the Important Book for our student teacher...
the Important thing about Miss X is that she....
then they illustrated the book with their own rendition of themselves...she cried when she read it to the class...and we also had a party with cake and pop...and the kid donated $ for a gift card to the teacher's store...we miss her still
pmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Cathy-Dee

Neat ideas
Old 02-05-2007, 10:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I love some of the other student ideas - I'll have to look back at this post when my student teacher is done her teaching with us.

Other ideas

- a type of memory book - my favorite memory of ________ is when

As far as buying a gift
- Chicken soup for the Teacher's Soul is a nice book to buy for any teacher.
- Another nice book is Children of my Heart by Gabrielle Roy
- and really any type of teacher's resource that would be good for a few grades such as a really great art book or poetry book.
Cathy-Dee is offline   Reply With Quote

sk

student teacher gifts
Old 02-06-2007, 12:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Picture books or children's novels are always good. I have a picture book that all the children signed.

Also a "memories book" of things they have done with the student teacher is always a good gift.

Or a teacher survival kit - coffee, stickers, band aids, post its..etc
sk is offline   Reply With Quote

CCrawford

gifts
Old 02-06-2007, 06:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

The teacher next door to me did this for her student teacher last year... the kids each made a scrapbook page for her and they had all of their pictures in the scrapbook with a letter from each child.

Another idea is the book First Days of School by Harry Wong...this is what my cooperating teacher bought me. I would say any book that would be beneficial to multiple grade levels would be an excellent way to go.
CCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote

Melisa77

Student Teacher gift
Old 02-06-2007, 08:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I gave my student teacher Harry Wong's First Days of School Book at the start of her placement with me, as it was the start of our school year.

At the end of her placement, I had a small tote bag with her name embroidered on it and as well as a teacher acrosstic poem. I asked parents for donations of teacher/school supplies and we filled the bag and a big teacher basket for her! I then purchased a gift card to Barnes & Noble and a local teacher store.

I made a book from my kids---took each of their pictures and created a computer template for them to place their picture and write my student teacher a letter. I then printed the pages on the color printer and had the book bound for her.

We had a surprise teacher shower on her last day with us where the kids presented her gifts. She loved everything...and the kids felt great that they were able to do something special for her!
Melisa77 is offline   Reply With Quote

busytchr

gift idea
Old 02-06-2007, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

My daughter's sixth grade class had a student teacher in the fall term. The co-op teacher bought her a nice leather wallet and the kids were invited to send in any amount of money which the co-op then put in the wallet. I thought that was a neat idea!
busytchr is offline   Reply With Quote

azfarkas

CTBooks!
Old 02-06-2007, 12:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

My CT asked each child to bring in thier favorite picture book, they signed them, wrapped them and gave them to me on my last day. It was So neat and I had 28 books to start my own classroom library with!
azfarkas is offline   Reply With Quote

mrs_b_from_nc

A "signature" stamp
Old 02-06-2007, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

My Ta got me this after my first year of teaching. She had copied my "teacher signature" (Mrs. B...) and had it made into a self-inking stamp at Staples. Cost about $15 and I'm still using it (5 years later). I use it on all sorts of things (AR reports, notes to copy) and my TA can use it on things when I might not be available to sign. Wonderful! You are so thoughtful!
mrs_b_from_nc is offline   Reply With Quote

GigglesnGrins

When I was a student teacher...
Old 02-06-2007, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

When I was a student teacher my cooperating teacher wrote a letter home to the parents asking them to each send in something that they thought a new teacher would need to start their own classroom. The students brought in markers, special paper, books, pens, pencils, decorative items, stickers, etc. The teacher put all of the items together in a big basket for me along with a memory book that they had all put together for me. It was nice to have a variety of things to use when I was in my first classroom, especially since I didn't have the money to go out and buy all of those things when I was first starting out.
GigglesnGrins is offline   Reply With Quote

aamattson

student teacher gift
Old 02-07-2007, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

When I was a student teacher, my cooperating teacher made me a clipboard with my name on the back and each of the kids signed it. It was inexpensive I'm sure but it was still something special! They also threw me a surprise party my last day and some of the kids brought in gifts. They all made cards for me (which I still have and read from time to time). One of my friends that I was student teaching with got a bunch of goodies like pens, markers, sticky notes, and all that other stuff that teachers need but never get! Anything you do will be special!
aamattson is offline   Reply With Quote

pinkjuice

Old 02-07-2007, 10:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I was given a Good Luck, We'll Miss You book. Each child wrote me a letter and drew a picture of me with them. The letters were filled with their favorite memories, what they liked about me, and of course how they would miss me, wish I'd visit, etc. I read that book whenever I need a pick-me-up. My CT also gave me a hardbound chapter book - House at Pooh Corner (which is appropriate for me because I love Pooh) with a personal note inside.
pinkjuice is offline   Reply With Quote

bexteach

Old 02-09-2007, 01:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I just completed my student teaching experience last year. My cooperating teacher got me a few books and my class pitched in an optional amt. of money to get me a gift certificate to a local teacher's store.

If your student teacher doesn't already have a picture of your class, take a picture and create a cute frame out of construction paper and have them all sign the frame. It would be great if you could get your student teacher in the picture with your class as well. My cooperating teacher didn't do this, but I did it myself before I left. I love pulling out my picture to look at my former class. It sparks so many memories!

Any other items that teacher's need to get their first classroom started is also a great idea! Books, pens, markers, stickers, post its, cutesy computer paper/writing paper, chalk, expo markers, popscicle sticks, small organizing tubs, clothespins, labels, sharpies, or any other item you might think to be useful for a beginning teacher. The students could also pitch in and bring any of these small items to create a basket.

I'm sure your student teacher will appreciate anything you and your class decide to give!
bexteach is offline   Reply With Quote

vjc08

I am a student teacher
Old 02-09-2007, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I am currently in my third student teaching field placement. Out of all of the gifts I have received, I most appreciated the teacher supplies I was given, as well as the gift certificates to the local teacher store (Learning How). All of the gifts I have been given have been wonderful, but as a teacher just starting out, its great to already have a stock pile of supplies for my own classroom. Also, you can never go wrong with books. Every teacher needs a classroom library, so what better way to start building a library then by being given some classic children books?
vjc08 is offline   Reply With Quote

nzkiwi

Hand printed bag
Old 02-12-2007, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

When I was student teaching, my cooperating teacher got a plain tan canvas bag and then had the kids put their handprints on it with paint and then wrote beside each handprint the student's name. I absolutely loved it and still treasure it today. I don't use it often (because I want to keep the bag nice), but I love carrying things in it when I do. It reminds of those kids a lot!
nzkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote

Ms. J

Thank you...
Old 02-12-2007, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Thank you for all the wonderful ideas! I am going to give my student teacher a basket full of teaching items. I know that will come in handy!
Ms. J is offline   Reply With Quote

SomethinRosey

Student Teacher gift - Snap shot
Old 03-07-2009, 09:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I was a student teacher in a third grade classroom and the teacher had the students make a "Snap Shot" of me being in the classroom. It was called "A Snapshot of Mrs. Rosey" and the students drew a picture and wrote a little note about what they learned from me, a special moment we had together, or just something that happened when I was in their classroom. The teacher was even thoughtful enough to put a small picture of each child in the corner and compile it into a book! I absolutely love that I can look back and remember the students and our relationships together. Perfect gift...doesn't cost a lot and the kids do all of the work! =) Hope this helps!
SomethinRosey is offline   Reply With Quote