Help

Kindergarten

The Daily Five in Kindergarten

>

Pantherfan

The Daily Five in Kindergarten
Old 03-28-2011, 03:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was wondering if anyone uses the Daily Five in their kindergarten classrooms. I am currently reading the book, The Daily Five, and I would love to hear from teachers who are using it. Do you like it? Could you briefly describe how you are using The Daily Five and what it looks like in your room while the students are engaged? Is it easy to implement? We use a balanced literacy approach at our school, and I am looking for new ways to run my classroom while I am pulling guided reading groups. I am already thinking of changes for next year. I really want to lengthen my guided reading time, so I can meet with more groups. Any opinions or advice on the Daily Five would be great! Thanks!

Pantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote

MissKayla

Old 03-28-2011, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do a modified version of it because we are still expected to teach our reading curriculum. I run 5 centers at a time, though students only complete 2 or 3 rotations in one day.

Centers are as follows:

ABC Word Work
Writing
Listen to Stories
Computers
Manipulatives (games, puzzles, etc.)

We do a whole group 25 or so minute lesson and then I allow students to make center choice number 1. They work quietly in their centers while I pull from those groups to do my Guided Reading groups. We come back to the floor and do a couple more short lessons in between rotations and/or after the last one. I may have to make changes next year when class size will likely increase, but this year it has worked wonders.. and the center activities I come up with have been engaging enough to keep discipline problems and interruptions in my Guided Reading groups minimal.
MissKayla is offline   Reply With Quote

teachBrooklyn

Word Work
Old 03-28-2011, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What types of individual/group activities have you found most effective and least disruptive for your word work center?
teachBrooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote

MissKayla

Old 03-28-2011, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Effective -
velcro sight word file folder type games
dice/other manipulatives used to creat real and silly words
sorting activities with blends
playdough snakes to create sight words
write the room - sight word hunting
word family memory games
sight word writing with giant pens/pencils
file folder created laptops where they "type" up sight words

There are tons of other things I do, but these are just a few of the things that tend to work really well with my kids. They LOVE getting to take a clipboard and go write down words. I change up how I do it where I'll write words on flower cutouts and hide them around the room, etc. Or I'll do like.. Spring Write the Room where they have to go find Spring related words. Write the Room seems to keep them the most engaged, I would say.. but they really are well behaved with any of these activities.

happykids

Old 03-28-2011, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've been thinking of giving more choices...do they have to choose a certain amount of centers through the week and sign in?

This is where the organization is confusing and not quite sure how to do it.

I thought about 3 color tubs. Choose one activity from each tub. You choose the order.
Red: Writing-wall walks, word hunts (same thing, but in a book)
Blue: SIght words-magnets, or read it-write it-write it again
Yellow: Reading- read to self, read into a phone or listening center

Any ideas?

happykids is offline   Reply With Quote

kindermomof3

D5 in K
Old 03-28-2011, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Check out the group here on PT called Kindergarten Daily 5 for more info and insight I do Daily 5 in full day K and LOVE IT!!
kindermomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote

MissKayla

Old 03-28-2011, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Every 2 days centers switch.. so they have to complete each of the 5 centers within those two days. They get choice in deciding when to complete each activity. Sometimes I do have two options at a center - like they can use playdough snakes to spell words or a different medium, but most of the time the choice lies in just picking when to complete it. It works well and my kids enjoy all of them.

hapenkgarten

Old 03-28-2011, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This is my third year using the Daily 5. I tweak it every year to meet the needs of my students. My district loves the Daily 5, so all 4 kindergarten teachers are using it, but we also have a reading curriculum to follow. I use it in full day kindergarten, but 2 of my teammates modify it for half day. We each have our way of implementing it in our classrooms. I think you need to do what works best for you and your students. I do all five rotations on Monday through Thursday. I keep Fridays open for special projects and one on one meetings with all students. All of the kindergarten teachers in my building, have a set rotation for each student. Each student has a folder with the order of the centers they visit each day. We find this works best for us in kindergarten.
Our five rotations include:
Read to Self
Work on Writing
Word Work
Listen to Reading (computers or listening to CD's or tapes)
Read to Someone (Teacher Table) - I also use Read to Someone at other times of day, so students can partner read.

I created an excel sheet to set up the student rotations. I have found that it works best if students have mixed abilities at all centers except the teacher table. That way the higher or stronger students can help the students that may need it. I meet with 4 reading groups that are leveled, but I change the grouping as often as needed throughout the year. During the fifth rotation, I am free to help individuals or small groups that may need it. I use Fridays to meet with everyone one and one. I conference with each child, take notes, and make sure their book box has books at the correct level. My students are with different students at each rotation. One of my teammates keeps all of the student groups the same at each rotation. When planning the student rotations, I give my lower students the Work on Writing or Read to Self in the 5th rotation. That way, I am free and get a little more time to help them. Sorry this is so lengthy, but I think you will love the Daily 5 once implemented. It keeps my class engaged, and I am able to differentiate and meet all their needs.

I just started Math Daily 5 this year and love it.
hapenkgarten is offline   Reply With Quote

Texas K-Girl

Love Daily 5 in K
Old 03-28-2011, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I found out about the book in May of last year. Too late to start for last school year. I also discovered PT about that time. Here is what I did. . . Scroll down to the Peony room on PT. I got a flash drive and I went through EVERY post on the Peony room (back more than a year). I got all kinds of ideas and anything specifically pertaining to K and what DID and DID not work I saved on to my flash drive. I spent a LOT of time studying the whole process - all summer pretty much - every spare moment.
Fast forward. I started D5 about the 3rd week of school. When they talk about HOW IMPORTANT training the kids on routines is . . . BELIEVE IT! A big help was the stamina graphs I saved off PT and hung in my room. Each day we graphed how many minutes we were able to to Read to Self, etc. THe kids LOVED that.
As everyone else says, you adjust D5 to your classroom needs. I have way more time for (uninterupted) guided reading now. I am able to access children and benchmark reading levels.
I would recommend to anyone. Give it a try.
Texas K-Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Pantherfan

Wow..thanks
Old 03-28-2011, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thank you all for replying to my thread. It is so helpful to hear firsthand from those of you who use the Daily Five. I would REALLY like to research it more for next year. Please keep the ideas coming. I am going to check out the Daily Five board as well (so...there is a board specific to the Daily Five?) Thanks again...
Pantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2chat

Old 03-28-2011, 09:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I love using daily 5. There is the Peony Room that is a board dedicated to Daily 5 you can find it on the main page that has all the boards listed. Also there is a group just for Kindergarten daily 5 users, the groups are a little different as you join just the ones you are interested in. Tons of info to be found on PT. Lots of D5 believers here
luv2chat is offline   Reply With Quote

leemac

Daily Five
Old 04-20-2011, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I am using a modified version of Daily 5 this year for the first time. I started on Day 1 and have been very pleased with the results. I think this is something that you really need to study and think about before you start in order to be successful. I started slow and go over and over those rules. Are you by any chance near Charlotte, N. C. ? I noticed the Panther Fan and was hoping it was a Carolina Panther Fan.
leemac is offline   Reply With Quote
teekad

teekad

New K Teacher
Old 08-23-2011, 10:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I know this is rather unorthodox, but if I sent you a flashdrive, would you be willing to make a copy? I am a new kindergarten teacher desperately hunting for great ideas!!
Thanks, Kathy
forkrupe#aol.com

mjzw

Old 09-08-2011, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I was thinking the same thing - about sharing the ideas- I am new to K also and want to implement. Just not sure where to start
mjzw is offline   Reply With Quote