Most frequently used root words? - ProTeacher Community

Risa

Most frequently used root words?
Old 02-06-2007, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm looking for a list of the MOST FREQUENTLY used Greek and Latin root words. I know there are plenty of lists of root words, but what I'm looking for is something that verifies how frequently they are each used.

I found lists that say "frequently used" but, if possible, I'd like to know what percent of root words they each are. (Yes, I know that's asking for a lot, but maybe it's out there somewhere...)

HOPE someone can help me out!

Risa is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

root list
Old 02-06-2007, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

my school district has a list for recommended pre/suff/greek roots for 1st--6th grade. (see below) i recall hearing that they were taken from a most-used list.

http://www.boiseschools.org/curricul...t_wordlist.pdf
tia is offline   Reply With Quote
Fiddle4Fun

Fiddle4Fun

Thank you
Old 02-07-2007, 07:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for this good resource!

Risa

Works for me!
Old 02-07-2007, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
my school district has a list for recommended pre/suff/greek roots for 1st--6th grade. (see below) i recall hearing that they were taken from a most-used list.
Thanks a lot, tia! I sure wish my district would just compile all their resources into one spot so we wouldn't have to keep 'reinventing the search'!

By the way, as I was 'googling' the search for frequently-used root word lists, I came across this site for making words with prefixes, root words, and suffixes online. The goal is to have the person "try to make up as many real words as you can by choosing parts from the menus..."

This would be a good resource for those who are working on building vocabulary.

Prefix/Suffix Machine
http://websites.ntl.com/%7Efixbyji/l...ffixprefix.htm

Last edited by Risa; 02-07-2007 at 12:43 PM..

Risa

Here it is... root words, prefixes, suffixes
Old 02-07-2007, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This is a page that my team partner started years ago. We kept working on it as we found more words that our students needed to be aware of. Students keep this page in their vocabulary folders and work on it either as we come across the words or as a group when we really focus on the Greek and Latin root words. (I might have previously posted the original one we had, but, frankly, I don't remember if I did, or if I just thought of doing it. )

The root word, prefix or suffix is in big bold font in the middle with small spaces underneath for the meaning, and spaces for two word-meaning examples. (I filled out the information for the root, 'bio' in gray text.) After pages are completed, they can be cut up and used as study cards.

Attached Files
File Type: doc roots, prefixes, suffixes 4 pg.doc (82.5 KB, 475 views)