Alternatives to Silent Lunch? - ProTeacher Community

Book_Lover

Alternatives to Silent Lunch?
Old 04-06-2011, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

For years, my go to consequence has been silent lunch. I didn't use it a lot, but when I needed a consequence that's what I used. This week I had a *darling* child with no self control who actually got assigned SL two days in a row. Mom pitched a fit and called the principal who now says we can't assign silent lunch anymore to ANYONE. Really? The week before spring break and the craziness that comes after break? We also can't take any time from recess. So does anyone have any ideas for consequences? I won't make it to the end of the year if I have no consequences.

Book_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote

ABusyTeacher

Silent Lunch
Old 04-06-2011, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I looked and saw that you teach 6th grade. I am surprised that your P does not support Silent Lunch. This is something our 5th-8th grade have gone to. Students can earn Silent Lunch for not having homework complete or misbehavior. Since you cannot use that now and you cannot take away recess, are you just going to have to start writing students up for misbehavior, disruption, and defiance (not doing homework)? Here, the child would then get a detention. Would mom prefer that?

Sorry that one parent ruined your system. Things will get better.
ABusyTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Super Sub

Old 04-06-2011, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What about Private Dining?
When some of the elementary kids can't behave themselves with the group they get to eat at a table all by themeselves. They are set off to the side where there's nothing going on and no one to talk to.
Super Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

bcswedes

Question
Old 04-06-2011, 11:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Is this consequence for anything he misbehaves? Can he write a sorry note or a note about what he is going to do better next time. If he doesn't have time during recess to write it, then he can write it as soon as he's finished eating? Is this something he can write at home, so mom can see each time he misbehaves?
I agree that it seems weird to not be supported for this consequence. Good luck!
bcswedes is offline   Reply With Quote

MayCee

Silent Lunch
Old 04-06-2011, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

All of our grades (k-5) have silent lunch, no matter what! On Friday the winning grade (the grade with the most days if complete silence) gets to pick their spot and talk quietly at lunch.

MayCee is online now   Reply With Quote

Overlightnes

Old 04-06-2011, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'd send the child to the office. If the principal isn't too busy kissing the mom's you know what, the principal can watch after the child.

If that's not an option, find out what the child truly loves to do. Tell the class, "Everyone since you've listened so well, we will get to work with a partner of your choice. All except, Timmy. You have to work by yourself because I of what you did."

If push comes to shove, try and carve out 10min at the end of the day for a special game or activity. You can take that away.
Overlightnes is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachLoveRead

Old School
Old 04-06-2011, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Could you go totally old school and have the darling write sentences? "I will not ____." 50 or so times for homework should get the point across.

It worked for me growing up. Usually. Sometimes it took 100. My blank was usually completed by "talk in class."
TeachLoveRead is offline   Reply With Quote

Book_Lover

Thanks for the ideas everyone
Old 04-06-2011, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Since I AM old school, I'll probably go with the old school suggestion of sentences. I wonder how long it will take until I have to stop that too. And I'm definitely sending the child responsible for all of this to the office. I don't know what I'll do when that gets old.

I've been teaching a long time, and I've never had problems over silent lunch before. We have a new principal this year, and she's really trying to get on the parents' good sides (at the expense of the teachers.) I should probably be happy it took her so long to "find" me, but next year could be a long year...I wonder if she could transfer somewhere else? No, better yet..maybe she'd be interested in a career change! (I wouldn't want anyone else to have to live with her!)
Book_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachLoveRead

Good luck
Old 04-07-2011, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hopefully this will work, and she won't flip out on you before the end of the year.
TeachLoveRead is offline   Reply With Quote

D.

Shocked...
Old 04-08-2011, 08:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I am completely shocked by the poster who said their entire school has to eat silently every day at lunch. Complete silence?!? Isn't lunch supposed to be a social "break" time? These are children we're talking about, not soldiers. In my opinion lunch is a time to decompress, visit with friends, enjoy each other's conversation. Does your family eat dinner in silence?

We eat in our classrooms, which I love because then there's not the chaos of most cafeterias. My kids sit in their groups and talk quietly while they eat. My rule is they have to talk with kids at their tables and stay seated while they eat, basically it's the same expectations as family dinner. If they are getting to loud or getting out of seats a lot, I count them to three. If they reach three they lose their Friday Friend privilige, which is to sit with other friends on Friday instead of at their own seat. If it happens again in the the week they lose the movie (I let them watch a movie at lunch on Friday).
D. is offline   Reply With Quote