Words Their Way Classroom Kits - ProTeacher Community

Cat woman

Words Their Way Classroom Kits
Old 04-19-2011, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do any of you that are using Words Their Way have the classroom kits? I have been e-mailing back and forth witha rep from Pearson and she has sent info about these classroom kits. Just wondering if they are worth the investment for my district. She is going to send me a Sampler Brochure and a copy of a student notebook to look over. I am thinking the classroom kit may make my WTW life a little easier!

Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

loves2teach2

Words Their Way
Old 04-19-2011, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What is in the kit? I recently started using Words Their Way in my classroom. I just ordered and received one of the word sorts books. It seems like a great resource but not the end all answer.
loves2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. Hos

Yes?
Old 04-20-2011, 06:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes, I think we do. Each student has a words their way book, I have a teacher book, big book of rhymes, and some readers that go with the rule each week. We reorder the consumables for the kids each year. It really is much easier.
Mrs. Hos is online now   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Mrs. Hos
Old 04-20-2011, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am planning to talk to the rep tomorrow but I am wondering if you could tell me if the kits are by grade level or stage of spelling development. I too, have the word sort books but find that my second graders span in their spelling developmental stages using the red and the yellow word sort activity books. I doubt that my district will spring for two classroom kits esp. if I am the only one that is using WTW right now. Do you know if the classroom kits overlap in developmental stages?

Mrs. Hos

Hmmm
Old 04-21-2011, 09:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am not sure how the initial sets were, since our Title I teacher does the ordering for them for K-3. When we order the replacement consumables each year though we can order x amount of Level A, x amount of Level B, etc. For us though, our principal prefers that we don't actually do WTW the correct way, with 3 or 4 groups. Each of our kids does the 2nd grade level, unless they are very low ESOL and then they do a lower version in ESOL. I guess since K-3 all does it, our principal doesn't want kids just repeating what they've already done. It makes it much easier just having one spelling list and word sort and then I differentiate with site words and such in guided reading groups.

Mrs. Hos is online now   Reply With Quote

LuBelle

WTW Workbooks?
Old 04-22-2011, 09:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Wow! I've been teaching WTW for at least 4 years. Never heard of the kits. We have the Teachers' Books and the CD. I would love to hear about the KITS!!! I'm not convinced WTW is any better than any other spelling program. Spelling is a tricky thing. Who is teaching it? Who are your students? Do they have the spelling gene??? I'm telling you: SPELLING has been tricky. I've taught for many, many years and I am always dedicated to the program I'm teaching. I evaluate the spelling programs in my own mind by looking at my students' writing. I have never seen a "spelling program" have a positive effect on students' writing in second grade. I have learned that YES spelling is developmental, but do the WTW levels actually improve my students' spelling in their writing? The answer is a BIG FAT NO!
LuBelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 04-23-2011, 10:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This is my first year using WTW so I guess I can't say that it is better than any other program. Our district has been using Rebecca Sitton for many years and there are parts of that that I do like (and miss using WTW). What I do appreciate with WTW is that it allows me to differentiate much more easily and that I do see a transfer into reading, esp. with my struggling readers and spellers. My plan is to continue with WTW next year and to incorporate some of the skills that I miss from Sitton. Our district is so iffy on spelling. We are required to teach Sitton's Priority words at each level, but beyond that can do any other program that we want. So in our school we have those using Sitton, a very few of us with WTW, some with the spelling in our basal, some using Spelling for Writers and yet still others with their own created spelling units. How's that for district wide consistency?!

Read2Succeed

Words Their Way
Old 06-22-2011, 10:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Our school is jumping on the WTW bandwagon because consumable spelling books are getting too expensive. Not sure if things will be any cheaper with the amount of paper and copy machine use we will incur. Some of the comments posted here concern me. If I am going to invest time and resources into this program, I want to make sure it works.

I am looking for any classroom management tips that work for those of you who use it. I have had input from a few coworkers, but they are relatively new to the program as well. Any advice would be helpful as I try to plan this summer. I am in a second grade classoom.
Read2Succeed is offline   Reply With Quote