fun measurement activities
Old 02-11-2007, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Any fun measurement activities??

intheloonybin

Don't bug out!
Old 02-11-2007, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I bought a couple of bags of bugs and creatures from a dollar store and made centers. I asked questions about the wingspan of a dragon fly, the length of a spider's left front leg, etc. and ask for measurements in cm, mm, and inches. Keep those little hands busy and minds interested. I also included the answers so it could be self checking.

Could use the same idea with different objects such as hot wheels, fast food kid's meals prizes. If students do good, reward them with a few minutes of play time with the toys. Just an idea. Good luck!

Page

measurement
Old 02-12-2007, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I held a measurement carnival....The kids made up carnival games and each group of kids was assigned a different type or unit of measurement. For example: one group had feet and they came up with a football game using a paper football and field they had the player make a prediction of how far they thought they could toss/flick it and then they flicked the football and the player had to measure in feet how far it went and compared it to their predictions. We had a second grade class come in and play along with our parents. It was a big hit and the students did a great job on the measurement test that followed. If you want more info. let me know!

jks

more details please
Old 02-12-2007, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for sharing a great idea. Please give us some more details about the other stations. Thanks.

camp823

Metric Olympics
Old 02-12-2007, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We do a metric olympics where the kids go to different stations as well. They will have a javelin throw (straw) and measure the distance. They will have a marble grab and weigh it on the triple beam balance. Another station will be a sponge squeeze, (they put the sponge in a bucket of water and see how much they can squeeze out). Other stations include a frisbe throw (paper plate), measure the area of your foot on cm graph paper etc.