Birth Certificate vs. Certificate of Live Birth...? - ProTeacher Community

Firstgradefun

Birth Certificate vs. Certificate of Live Birth...?
Old 04-26-2011, 11:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Ok, so this may be a really silly question, but what's the difference?

I have a Birth Certificate but I just got my DD's mailed to me (she's 5 weeks old) and it's a Certificate of Live Birth.

Is there a difference??

Love-Teach

Old 04-26-2011, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In Tennessee:

The long form certificate (birth certificate) is a printed image of the original certificate of birth. In addition to the child’s name and date of birth, it contains information such as the name of the hospital, address of parents, parents’ dates of birth, etc. The “short form” (Certificate of Live Birth) certificate is a computer generated extract of the information listed on the original birth certificate. The short form is not available for births prior to 1949. If the date of birth on the certificate is 1976 or later, the information included on the short form is:

name
sex
mother’s maiden name
father’s name (if present on long form)
date of birth
county of birth
date issued
date filed.

Illini Teacher

Don't know, but...
Old 04-26-2011, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

is it possible that it takes more time to process the full certificate?

Illini

mamacanteach

Old 04-26-2011, 11:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I can't answer your question but I'm relieved that your question isn't about Obama! lol

Sariana

certificates
Old 04-26-2011, 11:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If you have a Birth Certificate, you have absolute proof that your child was born where you say.

If you have a Certificate of Live Birth, your child might have been born in Kenya.

Okay, just kidding.

My son was born in Michigan. My daughter was born in California. All I have for either of them is a Certificate of Live Birth.

I was born in Ohio, but I can't find mine; so I don't know which it is. I was wondering if maybe it varied by state.

DH was born in CA, too, and has a Certificate of Live Birth.

All three of these certificates list all the information about the city, hospital, doctor, parents' names, etc. So I'm not sure about the distinction that Love-Teach is making. Again, I think it may vary by state.

sevenplus

Old 04-26-2011, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

http://www.ehow.com/about_5682636_ce...ive-birth.html

This link explains it really well, too.

JulieP

Old 04-26-2011, 01:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

DD was born in Texas. We received a "birth certificate" at the hospital but had to go to the city offices 3 weeks later to get her Official Birth certificate.

word girl

Old 04-26-2011, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

sorry to hijack, but Smokey and Sariana! That's what I thought too when I read the title!

Mme Escargot

Semantics...
Old 04-26-2011, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My guess is that it's just semantics. Since they have to keep records of such things, I think, technically, they still issue a birth certificate for stillborn babies; but obviously it would not be a Certificate of Live Birth. I suspect that the official term for all live babies is Certificate of Live Birth, but it has just been shortened in common usage to a "birth certificate" because it's not quite such a mouthful.

Last edited by Mme Escargot; 04-26-2011 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: Needed to clarify something

sambrolaw

Old 04-26-2011, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have a certificate of Live Birth certificate issued from the government. My Birth Certificate was issued from the hospital I was born in. Since I was born in Germany, the Certificate of Live Birth was issued after I was born showing I was a US citizen. I'm not really sure what the difference is and I'm assuming your daughter wasn't born overseas...

Green1

Old 04-26-2011, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Just hope your daughter doesn't want to run for President of the US, because Donald Trump would never give it a rest if she only had a certificate of live birth.....just kidding ....couldn't help myself!

sevenplus

Old 04-26-2011, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Quote:
My guess is that it's just semantics. Since they have to keep records of such things, I think, technically, they still issue a birth certificate for stillborn babies; but obviously it would not be a Certificate of Live Birth. I suspect that the official term for all live babies is Certificate of Live Birth, but it has just been shortened in common usage to a "birth certificate" because it's not quite such a mouthful.
They are different, actually. And, the laws in our state have since changed, but my son was stillborn and I could not get a birth certificate for him or any sort of legal document that proved his existence. At the time they did not issue any such certification for babies who died before birth.

Mme Escargot

Sevenplus
Old 04-26-2011, 09:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I'm so sorry for your loss. That must have been -- and must still be, I imagine --- an extremely painful experience.

I was only making a guess as to the terminology and did not mean to be insensitive. I apologize if my comment added to your pain.

~Madame

sevenplus

Old 04-27-2011, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Quote:
I'm so sorry for your loss. That must have been -- and must still be, I imagine --- an extremely painful experience.

I was only making a guess as to the terminology and did not mean to be insensitive. I apologize if my comment added to your pain.

~Madame
No! You were not insensitive at all. The theory actually makes a lot of sense. It didn't make me feel bad. Time heals a lot and it has been over 7 years. I speak of him pretty freely and matter-of-factly. It did bother me at the time that I couldn't get any record of his birth, but I'm fine with it now.

Thanks to Trump we know way more than we really need to know about certificates, don't we?