What can you do with a teaching degree besides teach - ProTeacher Community

TXlady

What can you do with a teaching degree besides teach
Old 04-30-2011, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm not considering changing careers yet, but am curious what else can you do with a teaching degree besides teach? Just seems to be that it would be difficult for teachers to switch fields. Would companies hire a teacher for a job who doesn't have experience in that field? I'm just thinking ahead incase the economy takes years to get better. Teaching is all I know so I don't know what I can do other than teach. I've never had a job outside of education (been a camp counselor, preschool teacher, & a nanny).

Time4achange

One would think...
Old 04-30-2011, 12:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We could be a nurse with all the ailments we tend to everyday...
We could be a banker with all the money we shuffle everyday.. book orders, lunch money, field trips, fundraisers..
We could be counselors... we deal with all kinds of emotional students and even parents...
We could be a technician fixing all kinds of electrical items.. over heads, computers, tape recorders, vcrs/dvds..
We could definitely work with financial planning.. we educate many children with less and less money every year...
We could go ahead and call ourselves a "babysitter" like so many other people do...

Hmmmmm.... what else could we do with our degree and experience??!!??!!

Mme Escargot

Old 04-30-2011, 12:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I was considering posting this same question....

I'm not convinced I want to continue teaching, and since I am currently jobless for next year, it's not as big a leap of faith as it would be to QUIT teaching to pursue something else. But I don't really know what else I can do or want to do....

TXlady

Old 04-30-2011, 01:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Only thing I've thought of so far that I would actually enjoy is bridal consultant. I absolutely love and am obsessed with weddings, but I have no sales experience. My plan is if I don't find a teaching job by August or September, then I'll start looking for jobs in other fields and see if anyone will hire me. I know I don't want to sub for another year.

myoung

Old 04-30-2011, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've been looking at other fields, b/c there is so little happening in education in my area right now and I think lack of experience is def. going to be an issue. Even jobs that I think I'd be qualified for (like a technical writer or editor) want at least 5 yrs. experience. Now, that's not to say that you couldn't fanangle an interview...

trasie

I worked in a construction
Old 04-30-2011, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

planroom for several years before I went back to teaching. I handled plans and addendums and was in contact with engineers and architects. I was told I was hired because they knew that teachers could handle paperwork in a timely manner and multitask. I seriously believe that a teaching degree is quite versatile. Just a thought.

Last edited by trasie; 04-30-2011 at 04:09 PM..

Rock Hound

Try textbook publishers
Old 04-30-2011, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

During a brief hiatus from teaching, I worked for a large textbook publisher. They use former teachers as consultants to introduce their new series to school districts before and after they adopt them. I worked in customer service answering phone calls from school districts. I knowledge of teaching and what teachers look for in TE's and student books was helpful.

Valone

Old 04-30-2011, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Project manager?
Office manager?

We adapt quickly. We are professional on the phone. We can use computers and technology. We can multi-task and have decent writing skills. WE ARE WILLING TO WORK FOR PEANUTS!

EarthMonkey

Old 04-30-2011, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We can manage people who have had, as of yet, little or no training in being managed by others. We can multitask. Police offices love getting teachers I was told at one point when I got RIFed, same with the armed forces, and any program that manages young employees too. I was seriously talked to by financial management companies and human resource jobs. Practically any place I talked to when I was RIFed (several years ago) seemed interested in me enough to ask me to interview or talk to me seriously about my plans once they found out I was a school teacher in the urban area I live in. It then was rescinded so I never tried to follow through with the stuff though.

My impression was that they figure first off you made it through a graduate program and since can organize and manage lots of kids, a variety of curriculum, and parents you already are a step above the majority of other applicants.

LuvAGoodBook

I sure hope
Old 05-01-2011, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

you are all right and that OTHER people feel this way. I have been a leave for 6 years and it is not getting better. No retirements, more jobs cut. I am feeling as if I am not going to have a job next year. Currently my leave ends at the end of this June and there doesn't seem to be any light at the end of this tunnel. It is very stressful and depressing to live year to year not knowing what will happen next year. Causing it to be nearly impossible to move on with life with such uncertainty.

I too have decided if I do not get something PERM then I am switching careers. However, without a job it is not that easy to go back to school for another degree. So, I am hoping that other people realize how versatile teachers really are. Wish us all luck that we all find ourselves in good places and soon!
Zorra

Zorra

tenure teacher as a substitute
Old 05-13-2012, 10:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'm a teacher who has been laid-off due to budget cuts. The CPS system does not want to re-hire highly qualified tenure teachers. They would rather NOT have any accountablility on the PARENTS and 'so-call' say that ALL tenure teachers are 'bad' teachers. UNTRUE. Those of us who have passion and dedication get the ax. Yet, children are suppose to be our future, but again the system is not MANDATING any responsibilities on these young mothers to teach their children the basic principles of life; such as,Respect, morals/values and discipline!! [... maybe if parents are FINED for bad behaviors and blatant defiance, then parents/guardians will get off their tush and become responsible PARENTS.]

Why did I say the above....because teachers are blamed for these misbehaviors; the classroom can not be conducive to learning, and more importantly, parents and teachers need to work more as a TEAM. Unfortunately, if not--we,the people, will spend more money on confinement verses educating a marketable citizen.