Journeys Reading program - ProTeacher Community

msteacher1993

Journeys Reading program
Old 05-02-2011, 08:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We just adopted Journeys reading curriculum. I helped pilot the program for a week and now since we decided to adopt it I will continue with the program the rest of the year. At first I was overwhelmed by the materials, but realized that someone out there must have a good way of organizing the materials so it is all in one central location. Any input would be great. Also I love the focus wall posters, but am looking for a way to display them and keep them in good shape each year. I can't laminate them at school, there are way too many and we are cutting our laminating budget. Any ideas?????? Thank you!

msteacher1993 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tulips

Journeys
Old 05-02-2011, 09:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You mean Houghton-Mifflin?

What I did this year was to organize by stories. For example, each time we read a story, I make a folder for it and put all of the relevant materials to that story in the folder. I've got the transparencies for the grammar and the comprehension skill, and any thing that I've created in that folder. By the end of the year, you'll have all of your materials in one place.

Hope it helps,
Tulips
Tulips is offline   Reply With Quote

msteacher1993

Old 05-03-2011, 05:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you so much. That was what I was thinking I'd do, but just needed to hear that from someone else to make sure that works OK. I REALLY appreciate your tip! Have a nice day!

julmc

Journeys 1st year
Old 05-03-2011, 05:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This was our 1st year to use Journeys in my district. Do you have the "Grab and Go" box? It has all the lessons already in folders with a handy booklet that has printables inside. I did find that none of the practice sheets or projectables are in the "Grab and Go" however. I was bummed about that because I had hoped all the printables would be in one place. Unfortunately, the container is rather small and there isn't a way to add the vocabulary cards, retelling cards, etc..to the box, so have also made folders for each story. We did not go through both books in order, but meshed the stories with our total curriculum. Would love to hear any ideas you come up with as well.
julmc is offline   Reply With Quote

msteacher1993

Old 05-03-2011, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you very much for your information. I feel the same way. I was hoping every printable needed was in one place. I started a crate with all the lessons in their own individual hanging file. I put in the vocab/context cards, the retelling cards, the posters etc. I put the projectables in separate sheet protectors and enclosed them in a 3 prong folder (that also went in the hanging file)Finally today I was able to take the small group readers one book of each level), their lessons and put them int he hanging file for that lesson. I labeled the lessons with a green dot for below level, a purple triangle for at level and then a blue square for above level. I figured this would help me as I dig for the lessons. The vocabulary readers I labeled as well with a letter sticker, marked V. So that is what I have accomplished so far. It sounds from your post and the other post that this is the way to go! I will keep you posted if I find any new ideas...you too! Thanks again to you and the other post!

ksugirl

So Glad
Old 05-10-2011, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm so glad I came across this post! We got our materials delivered to our classrooms today and "Holy Cow!" is there a ton of things!!! I'm super excited about the series but can definitely see how overwhelming it is going to be to get started. hopefully creating folders from the beginning will help so much. Thanks!
ksugirl is offline   Reply With Quote

julmc

Please share
Old 05-11-2011, 07:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

if you come up with any exciting activities to extend the learning for this series. I have really struggled this year with it. I miss our old adoption alot, but am hopeful Journeys will grow on me.
julmc is offline   Reply With Quote