Middle School Math Centers - ProTeacher Community

twaldrep

Middle School Math Centers
Old 02-14-2007, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am ready to try a new way to reach some of my hard to reach students. Centers sound like a great way to break up the monotony and bring some energy back to my room. I would love to receive some ideas for centers specifically for Middle School math. I could see me using them once or twice a week.
This is what I sort of envision:
Teacher led review center
Calculator practice (learning keys, techniques, and shortcuts maybe?)
Fundamentals practice (no calculators allowed, +- fractions, integers, long division)
Word Problems (Plan of attack, written explanations, manipulatives, etc...)
Anyone out there do something similar to this????? Help....
twaldrepcarolina.rr.com

twaldrep is offline   Reply With Quote

intheloonybin

Center Ideas
Old 02-14-2007, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach 5th grade math in Texas (TAKS) and have started laminating activities that review basic comp skills (rounding, mult., divis., etc.) for students to write on with vis-a-vis markers. Since the "task cards" are self checking, the students work on them very independently. The fun for them is trying to solve the riddle at the top of the page. I get these pages from books like pizzazz! It also makes it fun for them since they get to use a marker. They are also really good at cleaning them up and putting away since they might loose their privilage if they don't. Hope this idea helps

Oh, I forgot. I copy them on tagboard and color code. Ex: Division in green, Rounding in yellow, etc.
intheloonybin is offline   Reply With Quote

twaldrep

Old 02-14-2007, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks. Laminating and color coding are great ideas!
twaldrep is offline   Reply With Quote

RHSteggerda

Great Idea!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-16-2007, 07:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

As a new teacher, I am always looking for new ways to teach math. I really don't want my kids to be bored or find my class useless. I LOVE your idea of the centers! I may steal your idea and use it as interception for students who finish homework and/or have nothing to do or use them as review possibilities for tests and the such!

THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!
RHSteggerda is offline   Reply With Quote

rihanna

fractions
Old 02-16-2008, 12:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

i will give you some 34/67-23/60
6/12+2/3 try those

rihanna is offline   Reply With Quote
JamieK

JamieK

Math centers-middle school
Old 06-01-2009, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I just started using centers this past year with 7th graders and they loved it! I suggest starting small. There are a few out there.
1. Mad minutes- I created a center out of that after we did it as a whole group for some time.
2. Sandwich Center...10 sided dice. Decide on how many place values you want. I.e 6. __,___ ___ ____.___ ___ (done with a group mind you) All of us write the above done and there is no changing your answer once you right it. before the game agree on we are trying to find the higherst or lowest or middle number. I roll a 3 for the group and we are trying to get the highest number. So on my board I would put my 3 in a lower place value and not show others so they can't see my trategy. Then the next person rolls an 8. Knowing that the largest number is 9 I may put it in the greatest place value to win. Someone else may put it in the hundreds place. Go to the end.

I have others..... Just a lot to type now.
Bedroske

Bedroske

5th-8th math
Old 10-20-2010, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I started a math centers idea 4 years ago and have modified it many times. I teach key concept vocabulary (Marzano's Building Background Knowledge), and a review of those key concepts is one center. Another is a review sheet they fill out (metacognition) to consider what they know and don't know from the week. A third is computers (if available-my new school does not). A fourth is working on what I call "benchmark" ideas; memorization of facts, fraction/decimal/percent equivalents, conversions between unit in metric and customary and time. I have found, even with good modeling, middle school student need the teacher to bounce from center to center to keep all on task.
Kmmcdan

Kmmcdan

Clothesline ordering
Old 04-11-2011, 08:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

At a center hang a clothes line and have a grouP of students order decimals, fractions, or square roots with clothes pins On the line. Have students work together and correct each others mistakes
sheenglish

sheenglish

Old 05-12-2011, 03:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Great idea!

britt127

Centers!
Old 10-27-2011, 11:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Occasionally I'll do centers as well with my seventh graders.

We'l do a logic puzzzle, games on the smartboard, flash cards, and a teacher review center. It works out pretty well for my kids who can handle it!
britt127 is offline   Reply With Quote