Social Studies demo lesson - ProTeacher Community

mmc105

Social Studies demo lesson
Old 05-08-2011, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi Everyone! I'm new to proteacher and need some advice. I graduated last year, was unable to find a job all year but recently began applying. I landed a interview in a charter school in NJ and it went very well but they asked me to teach a 30 min demo lesson for a class of 18 6th graders. I wasn't given a topic and am really nervous. In the interview the principal asked me how I have incorporated differentiated intsruction in my student teaching, so I know that that is very important to her and needs to be incorporated into my lesson.

So far I have one idea. Since 6th graders usually learn World Hisotry my idea is to do a lesson on world religions. I would focus on Christianity, Judiasm, Buddhism, and Islam. I want to do a KWL chart, a brief PowerPoint, and have them do some sort of group work. That is what I have so far, and ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

mmc105 is offline   Reply With Quote

kmob

Old 05-09-2011, 02:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Good luck to you. I think that that might be a lot for 30 minutes. Does this school have their curriculum on-line? Then you can be sure to cover the right subject area. Religion might be controversial, you might want to go with something safer. Maybe a lesson on Ancient Greece, or a World Geography lesson.
kmob is offline   Reply With Quote