Help

ARCHIVE

Slides, Flips, and Turns

>

Nicole_vjc

Slides, Flips, and Turns
Old 02-15-2007, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am teaching a lesson on slides, flips, and turns next week. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this fun for the students?

Nicole_vjc is offline   Reply With Quote

taximom

What I do...
Old 02-15-2007, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

is give each child a triangle that I have cut using the die-cut at school. I also give them a large piece of manilla paper. I model each step on my own piece of paper. We all trace the triangle. Then we slide, flip, or turn it and trace it again. We do this for each. It seems to help since they are physically sliding, flipping, and turning a shape. I also use my body to slide, flip, and turn (sort of turn anyway). They seem to get a kick out of it which I thinks help them remember.

Hope this helps.
taximom is offline   Reply With Quote

SueSue

Old 02-15-2007, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I got my April/May Mailbox magazine today. On page 29 is an activity for slides, turns, and flips.
SueSue is offline   Reply With Quote

ee

slides, flips and turns
Old 02-15-2007, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I just did this lesson last week. I started by having my kids on the floor and having them physically slide, flip and turn on the floor. Then I gave them a card that they drew themselves from the front on the front and from the back on the back. Then we did the 3 movements using these cards on their desks. Last I had them do the quilt challenge from the mathwire website. They cut out squares that are divided into 2 triangles (called half square triangles in quilting) and try to turn and slide them to match the quilt square patterns on display.
ee is offline   Reply With Quote

bamateach

mailbox
Old 02-18-2007, 09:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yes The Mailbox had activities for this. We did them Thursday. They had a good time with it. First we modeled slides flips and turns with our bodies.

In case you don't get mailbox - Give everyone a sentence strip and a trapezoid. Model and practice shoing slides fliprs and turns. I also teach them what the arrow, turn arrow, and dotted line mean. Next they trace their trapezoid doing each of those movements across their strip. Then they trade with a partner and their writes what movement they made. Trade back and check.

bamateach is offline   Reply With Quote

bd03

Hands-on Method
Old 02-21-2007, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You could use five (small) interconnecting blocks to have the students form a shape. Explain to them that all five blocks must be used in each shape, the shape cannot be duplicated, (so check that they flip it and don't copy the same shape twice) and, also, it can't be diagonal (so they can't have two blocks and then a block in the middle of them). They should end up with twelve different shapes. To check, have different students go to the board and copy the shapes that they made; have the other students check to make sure no shapes are wrong or duplicated. Hope this helps
bd03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Azure

Here is a web site
Old 02-21-2007, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

that demonstrates these concepts.

http://www.misterteacher.com/abc.html#Flip
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote

Nicole_vjc

Thanks
Old 02-21-2007, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks for all your suggestions. I will be using these ideas to teach my lesson.
Nicole_vjc is offline   Reply With Quote