Words Their Way Scope and Sequence - ProTeacher Community

terryteach

Words Their Way Scope and Sequence
Old 05-14-2011, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've been working with my grade level team to develop a year long scope and sequence that links our state standards with Reader's Workshop, Writer's Workshop, and Word Work. We have RW and WW figured out, but not Word Work.

We got the newest edition of Words Their Way midyear but haven't implemented it yet. I started reading it and understand it's all about assessing and determining the level where each child is at. This makes so much sense.

Does anyone have a scope and sequence of lesson plans for the levels where 1st graders would be? I'm looking for lessons that would follow a logical sequential order. TIA

Last edited by terryteach; 05-14-2011 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: repetitious sentence
terryteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Prettysqueaky

Old 05-15-2011, 04:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

They should be included with your words their way kits. My professor at UNC-G helped create words their way. They have suggestions but it's really meant to be individualized. For example, the first short vowel you introduce is a, then some suggest o and etc. But if a child already knows it you move on to the unknown sounds based on their assessments.
Prettysqueaky is offline   Reply With Quote