Interactive Math Notebook for 5th grade - ProTeacher Community

tforman

Interactive Math Notebook for 5th grade
Old 05-16-2011, 08:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just started using an interactive notebook this year for science and I loved it. It really kept the students on track and organized.

In preparing for our state standardized test, I realized that it would have been awesome to have a notebook for math as well. I have been searching the internet trying to find more information/ ideas for a math notebook but they do not seem to be out there.

Does anyone already do one for Math? Are you willing to share your ideas?

tforman is offline   Reply With Quote

gingerg49

I Tried
Old 05-16-2011, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have never used Interactive notebooks before but I had seen them online and thought it was a great idea. I still need to tweak it but for math I would shrink notes on the new math concept ( we often had "reteach" worksheets that I would use) and a few problems. We would go over the concept and practice together. This way when they don't know how to do something I tell them to go look it up. I like it and I think it was helpful. The students really seem to like the notebooks as well.
gingerg49 is offline   Reply With Quote

heartbooks

Science Notebooks
Old 05-16-2011, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have been wanting to use Science Interactive Notebooks with my students can you give me some detail on how you use them. Thanks!
heartbooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Katherina

I n
Old 05-16-2011, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I used Interactive Notebooks for the first time this year. I know that I will use them even more next. I used 3 ring binders. We also kept our journals in here. Our divisions were for Daily 5, Math, Poetry, and doodling/art. When I shared information sheets of literary elements, algebra concepts, and vocabulary words they had a place. Even though there is lots of room for improving this concept, I feel it was successful.
Katherina is offline   Reply With Quote

tforman

Old 05-17-2011, 05:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I loved middleschoolscience.com!!!! That was the most helpful site ever to get me started on my science notebook. I wish that there was one just like that for math.

tforman is offline   Reply With Quote

CatBells

Jump in There!
Old 05-17-2011, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have used interactive notebooks for Science and Math for two years. For math I tried to provide information for each element to go with our standards. The students were responsible for responding. You really get great insight into their thinking through these responses.

The reteach worksheets that came with our textbook are the easiest source for information. At times I have students copy notes from the board.

Good luck with your notebooks.
CatBells is offline   Reply With Quote

pxydst07

Take a look here...
Old 05-19-2011, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This may help you out. There are a handful of links on this site. I tried interactive notebooks for science and math. Although I did not do them in the exact way that I've read about. I did incorporate foldables and try to get a more hands on notetaking approach. I had the left side of the notebook with the notes from the lesson and then the right side had a foldable, diagram, chart, that further explored the information. The students were responsible for the right side, however each student did the same thing- I didn't have them choosing what they wanted to place on the right side. It worked out well and I plan to do the same for next year.

http://www.primaryteachers.org/inter..._notebooks.htm
pxydst07 is offline   Reply With Quote

pxydst07

Found this too...
Old 05-19-2011, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=272777

Here is a link to a thread from last year....
pxydst07 is offline   Reply With Quote