How do you start of the year in second grade? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Second Grade

How do you start of the year in second grade?

>

woobie5

How do you start of the year in second grade?
Old 05-20-2011, 08:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've taught Kinder for the past two years and am moving to second grade next year! I'm VERY excited! Now that school is out I'm kind of getting nervous though and have things running through me head.

Like ... how do you start of the year in second? I'm getting a pretty tough class. In Kinder the 1st 6 weeks was spent teaching them how to walk in a line, how to sit on the rug etc, etc. I'm sure you have to start off with some of that stuff in second too .... but do you do it while diving right into your curriculum?

woobie5 is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 05-20-2011, 08:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I still spend a good chunk of time at the beginning of the school year teaching how to walk in line, sit on the rug, etc!

We spend a lot of time learning classroom routines until students are independent in doing them. We learn how to put materials away correctly and learn about the right level of voice for certain times. We learn how to work with partners, how to pick partners, what working independently means.

We also revisit this often when we see students are forgetting.

We also spend a bit of time generating classroom rules together, and developing a classroom behavior contract.

Since I do daily 5, I start reading the very first day. For math, the first day is usually going over how the math materials are stored, I let students explore and we practice putting materials away.

Hope this helps a bit!
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

MissHopeful

Old 05-20-2011, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach third but I think one idea that I've done in the past might be something your 2nds might like.

In the past I have spent my first week doing no textbook curriculum, and instead supplementing with different ways to learn about each other IN the subject areas. So basically, I teach a LOT of procedure that first week and, to begin practicing and understanding our academic schedule, we'll do math during math and spelling during spelling, but it will be math about US, spelling about US, etc.

To elaborate:

my morning work the first week would be a variety of interest inventories, surveys, and other things they could do at their seats independently, because that is how morning work would go and they needed to show me they could work that way, but we wouldn't be doing our normal morning work experience.

my math the first week would be creating and reading bar graphs about the class (our favorite pets, our favorite colors etc), taking different numbers about us (our birthdates, for example) and doing math problems with them, maybe doing super-basic fraction problems with m&ms, and whatnot.

my spelling words for the first week would be all of our names including mine

so on and so forth!
MissHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote

OhioTeach

Second Day of Second Grade
Old 05-20-2011, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

There are many ways to begin the year, but I really like this idea I read about on PT last year. Ideas were given on how to celebrate the Second Day of Second Grade! My class and I did several neat projects to make the day a special one. For instance, I had to former second grade teachers come read a story to them. We had two specials that day. The class enjoyed two snacks, etc.
Goodluck in second, you will love the guys and gals.
Peace,
OhioTeach

Last edited by Editor; 05-22-2011 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: no URLs in signature please
OhioTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

woobie5

Old 05-20-2011, 08:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Awesome! Love these ideas! THANK YOU!

Productive

Old 05-22-2011, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have taught second grade for two years now. Both years I have started the first week off by getting to know my students, and my students getting to know me and eachother. I start off the first week with procedures, rules, and routines. This is important to do in order to have classroom management, and a productive and successful school year. In addition, I like to do icebreaker activities to help my students feel comfortable and get to know eachother. It also helps me get to know them as well. I also like to do review of first grade math and writing to see where my students are academically. Good luck in second grade! I am sure you will love it!
Productive is offline   Reply With Quote

woobie5

Old 05-22-2011, 09:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This is a dumb question .... but HOW do you introduce rules, procedures and routines? I know that sounds dumb. But I don't want to just stand up there and lecture. In K everything was new to them and they were just SOOOO enthrawled. I would take any tips!

kate126

Not a dumb question!!!
Old 05-25-2011, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Totally not a dumb question! I moved from K to 2nd this year and was wondering ALL the same things! I think you'll be amazed at how "young" the kids seem at the beginning of the year-I know I was. If you think about it, they're only a year older than the kids you have now. Anyway, I started with a general discussion of rules, then we created a class set of rules, and they all signed the rule poster. They, of course, started with the ones the kdg kids all shout out-no hitting, kicking, etc....and you just guide them into appropriate wording. I also do the Daily 5, which uses a lot of modeling-both following and not following the rule-and they LOVE that. Start with a book like Recess Queen or How to Lose all Your Friends, and the discussion will follow naturally!! You are going to love 2nd grade, it's amazing how much LESS tired you will be at the end of the day!!!
kate126 is offline   Reply With Quote