Funny Student Writing - ProTeacher Community

Janylynne

Funny Student Writing
Old 05-26-2011, 12:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We all know that when students write, they often create something unintentionally funny, or just plain mixed up, due to incorrect word choice, syntax, or just random thoughts thrown into their writing. What funny things have your students been writing? My 6th graders recently completed narrative stories. One student wrote: "I had shot the cougar with the help of my younger sister, Rose, named after our mother, who had died giving birth. Rose was an expert knife thrower." Within 2 sentences, this student had thrown in: shooting a cougar, a younger sister named after a dead mother, and the fact that this sister was an expert knife thrower! I love 6th graders -- they always keep me entertained. I'm sure students in other grades are equally funny.

Janylynne is offline   Reply With Quote

MissHopeful

Old 05-27-2011, 07:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We did journals last year in the format of letters back and forth from me to the students, they would write all week and I would respond on Fridays for them to read on Mondays and then we'd start over on new topics.

In the beginning of the year I started by asking simple things about them including their family life, etc.

One little boy wrote "I have a mom, a dad, a stepdad, 3 sisters, and a dead brother who I didnt like anyway."

This wouldn't be funny, of course, if it were true. However, not only did this student not have a dead brother, he didn't have a brother at all! Once I talked to parents at open house about this, and they informed me of the real family set up, I was amused/concerned.

As the year went on, this student wasn't demented or anything, so it was okay
MissHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote

ViolaSwamp

Misspellings
Old 05-28-2011, 05:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

One of my students wrote a very memorable story a few years back. The topic was "You were digging a hole in your back yard when your shovel hit something. Tell what you found and what happened next." This boy told a great story, but everytime he wrote hole, he misspelled it - he started it with at "w" and his "l" looked like an "r." (Not sure if it would be appropriate to actually spell the word out here or not ) That story was hillarious! Sentences like "It was the biggest wh*r# I'd ever seen!" and "You'll never believe what I found inside that wh*r#" kept me rolling on the floor!
ViolaSwamp is offline   Reply With Quote