How often do you (or should we) physically move students? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

How often do you (or should we) physically move students?

>

Library Linda

How often do you (or should we) physically move students?
Old 05-27-2011, 08:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I find that students don't listen when I tell them to sit down, or go in time-out, or leave the table because they were misbehaving...that kind of thing. Either because I'm a sub (parapro), or my voice isn't tough,or I'm small or older, or whatever... So--usually after first trying verbally--I will take them by the arm or shoulders and physically MOVE them to their seat. Or manually STOP them from doing something. Or help propel them out of the closet where they are hiding. You get the idea. This is mostly with K/1 students.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing it more than others. I am not rough, not mean, just firm. They won't move; so I move them. The teacher is always in the room. This is a class situation where you would not write anyone up. What do you think?

Library Linda is offline   Reply With Quote

Suspended

Ball Three
Suspended

I now do mostly 2-6...
Old 05-27-2011, 10:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

...but I don't touch kids except to return a hug or, as you said, to STOP them from doing something dangerous, like fighting.

With K-1 I sometimes gave a very gentle push on the back to guide a kid who was confused, but if they were hiding or otherwise disobedient I verbally issued a consequence.

I once walked a resisting special-ed boy by the wrist to recess because if I'd stayed back to try to persuade him to come along the rest of the class would have been out of my sight. Sure, if I'd thought of this possibility I could have told the line leaders to stop every 20 yards or so, but I didn't. I no longer do severely handicapped special ed because I haven't the training or experience to anticipate and handle this kind of behavior.
Ball Three is offline   Reply With Quote
withheldnow

withheldnow

I think you should read up on this
Old 05-29-2011, 06:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think you might want to read up on this. Have you have teacher education classes yet? I am not trying to be mean, but some of the things you see teachers with contracts doing is not what they are taught to do or have been called upon yet. Even student teachers are taught to not touch the students. In your sub orientation, didn't they cover this? This is also covered in classroom management classes. Even if you aren't going to be a teacher, it might be a good idea to take this. I agree with the previous poster, I don't touch them.

lovetosub

Touching a child
Old 05-30-2011, 10:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

no matter what age or for any reason in any district in which I work would be grounds for dismissal. And as a sub, grounds for banishment.
lovetosub is offline   Reply With Quote
Suspended

Ball Three
Suspended

Good luck with that...
Old 05-31-2011, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I more or less gave up worrying about touching kids after:

1. A girl wearing sneakers (of course) walked up behind me on the playground and hugged me around the legs.

2. A whole class of first-graders who remembered me charged and gang-tackled me in the cafeteria, a few feet away from the grinning principal.

3. A boy in my K class overtook me on a pathway and took my hand.

I could go on, but you get the idea.

If I have to reject kids' expressions of affection and trust to keep this job, I don't want it.

Ball Three is offline   Reply With Quote