tutoring ideas - ProTeacher Community

ilove1st

tutoring ideas
Old 05-31-2011, 10:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm tutoring a child who just finished 2nd grade, but is reading on an end of 1st grade level. I plan to work on phonics, word building, etc., but was wondering if any of you had any good, fun ideas that I could use to help his fluency. Thanks!

ilove1st is offline   Reply With Quote

e198610035

Ideas!
Old 05-31-2011, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Read lots of poetry! Find books that have lots of repetitive phrases.

Read in different voices (low, high, loud, soft, country, sing/songy, slow, fast, etc.)
e198610035 is offline   Reply With Quote

yankees21

Fluency passages!
Old 06-01-2011, 12:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Lakeshore Learning (and I'm sure alot of places) sell them. Then ask comprehension questions. I have one with levels A-J. It covers poetry, non-fiction, fiction. They more fluently they read, the more they understand.
yankees21 is offline   Reply With Quote

MissHopeful

Old 06-02-2011, 09:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Model by doing a back and forth reading of a fun picture book with the child so he or she can hear your fluent reading voice. start by reading a page and having him/her read the same page back to you, then as progress is made, read the left, and have him/her read the right. dont read a book once and pitch it, go back to it so the child can experience success and comfort.

I would try to find books where the readability is low but the interest level is high so that the student doesnt feel babied or bored, but can still read on his or her level.

also, if you can get a hold of a cheap tape recorder, tape the child reading a book and play it back to him or her. have the child read along with himself/herself. my experience is that the child will enjoy hearing himself/herself reading successfully.

also, I tend to think my students who struggle with fluency tend to struggle with rhyming, syllabication, and especially pace. MANY of my lower-reading third graders read too fast or too slow so I practice reading like a snail/turtle/whatever with them "Oooooonce...upoooooon....a.... .tiiiiiiiiiime" and then practice reading like a racehorse/hotrod/something else "onceuponatime" and then practicing somewhere in the middle - reading like a student/star/whatever...
MissHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote