Author good for visualization / sensory imagery - ProTeacher Community

Ms.SB

Author good for visualization / sensory imagery
Old 06-01-2011, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am trying to plan ahead a bit so I can enjoy my summer, so sorry for this type of question at the end of the year...

I am planning a unit focused mainly on visualization / sensory imagery. Can anyone recommend an author who has multiple books good for practicing this skill? I will use them as a read aloud, so level of difficulty isn't a big issue. However, I am trying to avoid chapter books because I need shorter works for what I'm going to do.

Thanks for any advice!

Ms.SB is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Visualization
Old 06-01-2011, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have two favorite books to teach visualization with. They are not by the same author though.

The first is titled Jabberwocky and is by Graeme Base because he did the illustrations. The poem is actually by Lewis Carroll. The poem is filled with nonsense words, so this also helps students to learn about context clues. I read the poem from the book without showing them the pictures.

As I read I ask them to draw a picture of something they think is happening in the narrative poem. When they are done with their pictures we share them and discuss what everyone thinks is happening in the poem. Then I reread the poem and show the beautiful pictures. We discuss the meaning of the poem and specific words again. You can find the poem online easily, if you would like to read it and see what you think.

There is another poem that has been made into a picture book that also has nonsense words. It is a little scary though. It is titled Tog The Ribber. It make a great visualization lesson around Halloween, but may be a little too mature for third graders.

The last book is very different. It is something that the Metropolitan Museum of Art put together. I believe it is titled Can You Hear It? It is filled with famous art work, I think about 12 pictures. The book comes with a CD. The author selected classical pieces of music to go with each painting. So I play the clip of music for one picture and have the students draw what they think might be happening. We show our pictures and discuss their ideas and why they think that music made that picture come to their mind. We discuss tone and mood a great deal. Then I show them the picture in the book and we discuss some more. We usually do four tunes and pictures at a time for a lesson. So the book is good for three lessons, if my memory serves me correctly.

I do not have anything specific for sensory imagery, but what about a book about popcorn? They would see it, hear it, smell it, taste it and feel it.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

bookiemushu

Old 06-01-2011, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Roald Dahl is quite wonderful for sensory language.
bookiemushu is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 06-01-2011, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I spend the whole month of October on visualization/sensory imagery. I have quite a wonderful collection of Halloween books which are amazing for teaching the above! My kids love it, grasp it, and remember it! (And therefore, use them in their own reading and writing!).
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Eliza4one
Old 06-02-2011, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Please share titles. Is one The Ghost Eyed Tree? I love that picture book and read it each October.

eliza4one

Old 06-02-2011, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I had to go dig out my Halloween box!

Yes, one is The Ghost Eyed Tree.

Here are others that I have used:

*Cinderella Skeleton
*Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich
*It's Halloween (Jack Prelutsky)
*Skeleton Bones & Goblin Groans Poems for Halloween
*Dinner With Dracula A Spine-Tingling Collection of Frighteningly
Funny Poems
*Halloween Howls Holiday Poetry
*Halloween Pie
*A Very Scary Jack-O-Lantern
*Ghost's Hour, Spook's Hour (Eve Bunting)
*The Haunted Ghoul Bus
*Pumpkin Eye
*ABCs of Halloween-^^^^(A Definite Must)^^^^^

There is another one that is just as good as ABCs of Halloween that I check out from our school library, but can't remember the name of it. It is by a well-known author, though.

These books (and other Halloween books) are great for teaching:

*Play on words
*Alliteration
*Word Choice

My kids' writing comes alive every October. And they truly do remember it and use it the rest of the year. Pulling out my box makes me happily anxious for next year.

1956BD-thank you for asking. I told you once that I wish I could teach with you, as you have SO many neat ideas on PT that you share. Not just ideas, but general teaching information, too. So, if this helps just a little, I'm glad.
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Thank you for the list
Old 06-02-2011, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Can't wait to check them out. I get the best titles from other teachers.

I love The Ghost's Hour, Spook's Hour!

I have a poetry spelling unit for Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich. If you like I will pass it on. Someone shared it years ago on PT. Very cute and fun.

CountryJo

Another great book for Visualization
Old 06-03-2011, 07:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Jerry Seinfeld - Halloween is lots of fun and the kids love it.

The Music Inside Me is written by 4th and 5th Grade students at Marvin Elementary School in Norwalk, Conn. - it has marvelous possibilities for Visualization and a great story.

I also love using Chris Van Allsburg's Just a Dream
CountryJo is offline   Reply With Quote
sweet_teacher
Old 06-03-2011, 04:58 PM
This message has been deleted by sweet_teacher.

Ms.SB

Thank you!
Old 06-03-2011, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks for all the great ideas!
Ms.SB is offline   Reply With Quote