Literacy Fair Ideas Needed!!!! - ProTeacher Community

teacher226

Literacy Fair Ideas Needed!!!!
Old 06-05-2011, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all!
I am thinking about launching an event at my school that we have NEVER had....A LITERACY FAIR!! Ironically, my school is a reading & writing school meaning our focus is primarily on reading, writing & math. We use Lucy Calkins units of study and we are a project school. That being said, it hit me over this past week that we really don't do big events such as a Literacy Fair to push literacy in the community or home! I'm really thinking of being the one to initiate something like this at my school and continue it every year! I am also going back to school to be a Librarian and I am hoping to step into that position at my school when I'm done, so I would like to already have this in place. Do any of your schools have Literacy Fairs? If so, what does it involve? Who runs it? What activities do you include? Do you have fun activities too such as face painting etc.? How do you incorporate the "literacy" push during the fair?

All ideas are welcomed. I am planning on speaking to my Principal about this idea over the next couple of days. I'm sure she'll be all for it! But I want to have more ideas around it.

Thank you all in advance!

teacher226 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Literacy Fair
Old 06-05-2011, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We had one at our school. We had teachers volunteer to prepare and work that night. Only about half the teachers volunteered, so that is why we only did it once.

Each teacher planned a fun reading event. Some teachers worked in pairs to make the work load easier.

Each event was to last about 25 minutes. Then we planned five minutes of passing time to make it to your next event. If you stayed the entire time you could attend 4 events. There was a short introduction by the principal which lasted about twenty minutes. Then we passed out the list of events with descriptions and room numbers. They had about 10 minutes to read over the choices and move to their first event. So the event lasted two and a half hours. Each teacher had to repeat her lesson four times.

I do not know exactly what each teacher did, but I will tell you what I remember.

There was a Curious George room. I know they read a story aloud, but not sure what else they did. This was right before the Curious George movie came out, so it was popular.

There was a princess and dragon room. They did something with fairy tales.

There was a Harry Potter room.

There was a read a craft and make a craft room.

There was read and perform an experiment room.

There was a sports room. They read something about sports and had a UT athlete come to give autographs. He had gone to our elementary years before.

I did a scary story reading with the lights off. I recommended that only third through fifth grade students attend. It is a narrative poem titled Tog The Ribber or Granny's Tale. The poem is filled with nonsense words. I read the poem first without showing the book's pictures. Then we discussed what it could mean. Then I read the poem again and showed the pictures. Then we discussed the poem again. It was a great lesson in how to use context clues to figure out the meaning of the nonsense words. The students had great fun with this erie tale.

One room had a collection of picture books for parents and kids to read together. The room had three tents set up for reading. Each child was given a flashlight for reading inside the tent. They loved this one!

That is all the events I can remember right now. If I think of more I will return to share more.

Teachers pooled their Scholastic points to buy books as prizes. Books were given away at the initial meeting. We called out ticket numbers to declare winners. We also had a couple of rounds of a Book Walk instead of a Cake Walk.

We had a small budget for prizes. I know the Curious George group gave away something with pictures of him, like pencils or erasers.

I gave away glow in the dark wrist bands before I turned the lights out for my poetry reading.

Most of the prizes came form Oriental Trading.

Best wishes!
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

read2day

Book Fest
Old 06-05-2011, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Here is a link to a fair that is held near me. Maybe you can get some ideas from it.
http://www.sewibookfest.com/
read2day is offline   Reply With Quote

Dr Seuss fan

Title 1 rdg night
Old 06-11-2011, 12:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We are a Title 1 school. As part of those requirements, we offer a Parent Reading night. Each grade level picks a story or book that kids that age know (or can be read to them then). Then each grade picks a food and a craft activity that go with that story. Two examples I remember are:

5th grade chose How to Eat Fried Worms. They made dirt with gummy worms fr the kids (oreos crumbled and pudding). I can't remeber the craft for this one.

2nd grade had a book about a box making pizzas (can't remeber the name) and each kid got to make a little pizza (similar to lunchables).

Every kid takes turns going around to all the "booths" and then gets to read a book and take an AR test with their parent.
Dr Seuss fan is offline   Reply With Quote

puppyluv

Love it!
Old 06-12-2011, 04:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I love Dr Seuss fan's ideas. You could also easily incorporate them into the classroom as well. Like if all the kids as a class are reading How to Eat Fried Worms.

puppyluv is offline   Reply With Quote

Charl

These ideas are great!
Old 06-12-2011, 06:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

What about inviting a member of the community that your school is in like the local public library? Maybe invite a bookstore and they could display some of the recent favorite books for children and offer a list of popular books. The school library should also be open for parents and students to check out books and read together. This sounds fun!
Charl is offline   Reply With Quote

1Doc

Family Reading Night
Old 06-20-2011, 03:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We've had a family reading night. If you go to the PTO website they have information to help get you started.

Here's what we have done:
1. Start with food. A few years we have done picnic dinners with families bringing their own food. This past year our PTO provided a hot dog dinner.
2. Families had a choice to attend 2 20 minute teacher lead stations. The teachers read a book and did some sort of fun activity. Each year we've had a theme and the teachers pick books based on the theme.
3. Whole group activity ending. We bring everyone back together for a special event. We've had guest readers from the community, magic show, and play performed by one of our older classes.

I would love to add the Scholastic book fair to the mix, but we haven't been able to work that out yet.

Have fun! Good luck!
1Doc is offline   Reply With Quote