"May we contact your former employer?" - ProTeacher Community

Hideeho

"May we contact your former employer?"
Old 06-07-2011, 05:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Well, yes and no.

Has anyone ever checked "no" on that one?

I finalized my online application this morning and put it out there for school districts, plus clicked "apply"on a couple of positions.

I also clicked yes on the above question, but I don't know if I did the right thing.

I really am a nice person, I don't lie, steal, cheat, I work very hard to be the best teacher I can possibly be, but still my admin of 20 years just didn't want me around any more. I don't know what else to say. Actually, I'm still trying to deal with that situation and what it means to my family and the hurt it has caused. It is what it is, and the fact remains that I need to find a job.

I felt that if I checked no, don't contact my former employer, that would be a red flag. By checking yes I am allowing these people who are pretty much snakes in the grass to continue to sink me.

If you have been in this position, what did you do?

Hideeho is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemK5

Old 06-07-2011, 05:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've always been told that technically employers aren't supposed to say bad things about you because it is slander... but who knows. As long as you were a good employee, I don't think they would say things that aren't true.

Besides, do they really contact that particular employer? Usually schools as for letters of recommendation and call those people as opposed to former employers.
ElemK5 is offline   Reply With Quote

katsmeowsd

It's true
Old 06-07-2011, 06:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

your former employer is not allowed to say anything bad about you. I used to work with my director in the interview process and she said something about that once. But I know my director DID used to call former employers to check on possible candidates. Don't worry if you check yes. good luck!
katsmeowsd is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-07-2011, 06:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When we are looking for someone, if they put no on a question like that, we would put their app in a stack to not bother looking at.

I agree, they can't say anything bad about you and it is doubtful they would anyway. Although you aren't leaving by choice exactly, you haven't done anything to be ashamed of. Get that out of your head as you head into the realm of job hunting. You are a good person, a good teacher and you have no reason to think anyone thinks any different. GO get 'em!
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

angelajw

Former employer
Old 06-07-2011, 06:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have taught in several states because Dh works for the military. My former employer has ALWAYS been contacted along with ALL of my references. If I gave a school number and they wanted to contact them during the summer I have been asked for a personal number. Last time I didn't give my co-teacher as a reference since I only taught with her for one year and so I used my references from my previous school since they knew me better. My P asked if I could give her, her number.

I would think the only time to list DO NOT contact the former employer would be if you are still working there and do not want them to know YET that you are looking elsewhere.

angelajw is offline   Reply With Quote