iPhone theme for 6th grade Math - ProTeacher Community

mthteacher11

iPhone theme for 6th grade Math
Old 06-10-2011, 08:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I will be teaching 6th grade math in the fall, and I have been trying to come up with an underlying theme for my classroom that my students will relate with, but won't feel so 'elementary'...

I know many students these days are very technology savvy and I thought it would be fun to do an 'iPhone' theme.

Here's what I have so far...

iClass/iSchool Bulletin Board - A large scale replica of an iPhone home screen with different 'app' buttons that can be for each class they have, different extra curricular activities, holidays, etc. (Obviously these could change as the year goes along...) Also, students could create their own 'app' with something they love and I could switch them out every so often!

iCal - Recreate the apple calendar in a large size bulletin board that's dry erase. This can be updated with important school dates, student birthdays, important test dates, etc.

iLaugh - a poster with a weekly joke or fun photo?

iWork (Would love a more creative name for this one) - basically a 'outstanding work' board with student's work!

The last thing I'm still pondering.... 'iCash' which would be a classroom money system. Students get so much per 9 weeks/or 1 week... during class they 'owe' if they 1) don't have their homework 2)are disrespectful to a student or teacher 3) are not prepared and have to borrow supplies 4) are continually off task.... etc... I thought they could even 'earn' extra for certain things (ie on their birthday, if they did a great job in class that day/week etc) At the end of each 6 weeks students can 'buy' homework passes, small toys from a 'iStore' etc, etc.... [Like I said, I'm still throwing this around... but I am a math teacher, so I think this would be another way to teach about economy and have them doing some simple math. What are y'alls thoughts?]

I would love any input on these ideas, and any more ideas that anyone can think of!

mthteacher11 is offline   Reply With Quote

weezeeanna

LOVE this idea!
Old 06-11-2011, 07:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't have an iphone but do have a droid....I can see this being very motivating and captivating for 6th graders [I teach 6th also]. Hmmm....I'm moving to a new room and was throwing around ideas...and this may be the ticket.

Do all iphone apps have [i] in front of them?

I like your iCash/iStore system and its tie-in with economy and money.

If you list your objs/standards on the board, you can call it iCan....

You can have them call their binder [if you use one] the APP binder: Always Practicing & Prepared [or something similar] or you can call it the iLog: Interactive Learning: Organized w/ Goals or the iPad [since there is one anyway]: Important Practice, Assignments, & Data

Just a few ideas!!! If I think of more I'll post.
weezeeanna is offline   Reply With Quote

weezeeanna

Also....
Old 06-11-2011, 10:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Try this link too:
http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=170311
weezeeanna is offline   Reply With Quote

mantato

iPod
Old 06-12-2011, 11:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm doing something very similiar to you! I'm doing a rock star theme but with the iPod ad influence (neon posters with silhouettes), so a lot of my sayings are like yours. For the outstanding work wall I found a saying another teacher came up with: "iWork iLearn iGrow" My job board is going to say "iHelp"
There's also this website: http://www.redkid.net/generator/sign.php
The website images are low resolution though...
I just hope with all these lower case "i"s my students don't start using them in their writing!
mantato is offline   Reply With Quote

MSLangArts

ipod theme job titles?
Old 08-03-2011, 03:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I love all of these ipod ideas- so perfect for 6th grade. Thanks to everyone for sharing. I am wondering if anyone has any job titles yet? I think I will call the board "ihelp". The only 2 names I can come up with are : web browser (like a classroom inspector) and web adminstrator (like a teacher assistant). Any other ideas? I know I want my 6th graders to have classroom responsibilities I am just not sure on names for the jobs.

BTW, in case anyone is interested, I made a large iphone with large clip art icons as apps to represent the 6 + 1 writing traits. It turned out pretty cute! I also used the website mentioned here that you can type on the ipad and I typed in some text abbreviations. I am hoping I can have it blown up at Office Depot for not too much and this will go on my reading board for the start of the year. But, I do love the Facebook themes for Reading boards. Has anyone designed their board yet or have pictures that you'd be willing to share with the FB theme? I also thought of an internet cafe, but no concrete ideas yet. Anyone have any? I also called my class rules "6A Netiquette"- I read on-line that etiquette rules for the internet are called netiquette.

I am usually very creative with my themes to the nth degree, but I feel I am at a loss on this one. It is my first time teaching 6,7,8 (I have taught 6th before.), and I don't want to go too babyish with my theme, and I am also told that middle schoolers don't care about bulletin boards and classroom decorations so I have been told to not waste the time or money. Is this true? I care about them as does my principal. I think it sets the tone for a postive and fun working environment. I also think it helps kids feel comfortable in their room even if they are only there 45 minutes a day. I think maybe I just am having trouble because I don't really understand this theme as well as others I have used in the past (I don't own any "i" products at all!). So if anyone out there can educate me I would be most appreciative! Thank you.

MSLangArts is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher999

Question on the IPHONE board
Old 09-05-2011, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am teaching sixth grade math at the middle school level so I am seeing my kids approx 40min each day....Now is the board interactive or just meant to list standards and ideas? Do you have a picture of yours that I can look at? I love your idea!!! Fantastic

ROxanne
teacher999 is offline   Reply With Quote

MSLangArts

Ipod Bulletin Board
Old 09-06-2011, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Roxanne...My iphone has the 6 + 1 traits of writing as the apps. Next to each in brightly colored paper I have the description written of each of the traits. I used techy terms to describe each. So, it is interactive in the sense that I refer to it daily in Writing, but it is not interactive in the sense that the kids can't do anything with it. It is really a reference only. My ipod nano is for my jobs. I have it created so that you can "select" the app by lifting the picture (I found apps on line to represent each of my jobs.) to find the person who is completing the job for the week. I hope this helpful!! Good luck to you.
MSLangArts is offline   Reply With Quote

MSMadness

Greek/Latin iPhone
Old 08-19-2012, 08:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I was struggling with a bulletin board idea that would be relevant to my curriculum--my district has embraced Marzano--and something I could utilize in my instruction. I saw your post and started thinking...

My twist on the iPhone board is this: all of my icons are doubled (one on top of another). The top icon is a picture (clip art) that represents a Greek/Latin root word. For example, the first icon is a foot. Lift the icon and beneath it is the word, ped. Icon of a hand=man/manu.

I covered my board with black wrapping paper so it would have a glossy look, and then added silver glittery boarder around it. I actually cut off the scallops to give it a more iPhone-ish look, then used a wedge of scalloped border to create rounded corners.

In addition, I made the "bars" that show reception and rather than 3G or 4G, I used SMS (our school initials) on the left, added iLearn to the middle, and out the time as 12:13 (the school year).

All in all, it turned out very cute. We are going to start our word parts study this week, so, I guess I'll see if it is effective! I just have to remember to use it when I'm being observed!!!
MSMadness is offline   Reply With Quote