Fourth Grade Writer's Workshop - ProTeacher Community

Savvy

Fourth Grade Writer's Workshop
Old 06-11-2011, 04:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello All,
Next year I will be switching to block teaching instead of self-contained. I'm trying to get ready for my transition into just a reading and language arts teacher. I need some help with my writer's workshop. Fourth grade is the first year for testing in writing and now I will carry a lot of that weight on my shoulders. Does anyone have any book suggestions that I could use for my writer's workshop. I really want to hit the ground running next year and help mold some awesome writers!

Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote

Mariely

Writing Resources
Old 06-11-2011, 10:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi there! First of all, I understand how you must be feeling about the switch. Don't feel discouraged though. I trust that you will have a great year nontheless. I also teach fourth grade and I have some great books that I use year round. Here are the books:

Writing Superstars by Melissa Forney
This book contains a variety of lessons that help students learn how to brainstorm a prompt, the difference between Narrative and Expository Writing, how to write a beginning, middle, and end, various writing skills, and much more.

Razzle Dazzle Writing by Melissa Forney
Another great resource by Melissa Forney. This book targets 50 essential writing skills. I use it interchangeably with Writing Superstars.

Writing Camp by Melissa Forney
New book by Melissa Forney which came out last year. This book teaches students writing skills through reader's theatre. There are about 12 reader's theatre scripts about the same characters which is a group of kids at a writing camp called Camp Su Mundo.

Writing Whizardry by Maity Schrecengost
Great mini-lessons that teach students how to elaborate in their writing (contains 70 lessons).

Voice Whizardry by Maity Schrecengost
This book has 36 activities that help young writers discover and use their personal voice in writing.

Writing Workshop: The Essential Guide by Ralph Fletcher
If you are interested in learning how to set up writing workshop in your class, this is a must read guide. It's an easy read and gives you plenty of ideas.

Craft Lessons by Ralph Fletcher
This is a great book filled with tons of mini-lessons to use in writing workshop.

Blowing Away the State Writing Assessment Test by Jane Bell Kiester
Great resourceful book filled with tons of ideas on how to help your students' writing skills. This book goes through four steps to better writing for students of all levels.

I hope these offer some guidance to you. I highly recommend all of them and I wish you the best of luck. Take care!
Mariely is offline   Reply With Quote

Savvy

Awesome!
Old 06-20-2011, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

These books sound awesome. Thank you for sharing. Unfortunately, now I'm moving to first grade! Oh the life of a teacher!! I will still check these books out.
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote

Mariely

Great!
Old 06-20-2011, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

No problem! Good luck in first grade!

If you are interested in a great resource for writing in first grade, you should check out Melissa Forney's Primary Pizzazz Writing. It's a great book that shows you a lot of hands on activities and ideas to spark writing in the early grades. It also comes with a CD of writing songs. Take care!

maryteacher5

reader's and writer's workshop-6th grade
Old 06-23-2011, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am going to start readers and writers workshop. I will be in sixth grade. Would anyone say any books that do step by step lessons or anyone have lessons to share?

I will also share things I have but I wouldnt want to reinvent the wheel of units if people have it.

maryteacher5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Katnmouse

Old 06-28-2011, 05:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I tried to find the book Writing Superstars (Forney) but apparently it is not available unless you are willing to pay $189.00 (Amazon) It would have to produce some seriou writing superstars to warrant that price for one paperback book. And the Writing Whizardry book is priced at $89.00 (also Amazon)...these publishers have finally learned about all the dough we teachers are rolling in.
Katnmouse is offline   Reply With Quote

kristen_teach

Old 06-28-2011, 05:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I like the book 10 Easy Writing Lesson That Get Kids Ready for Writing Assessments.
http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Writing-L...9266444&sr=8-1

This book provides 10 step-by-step lessons. I like using them as a starting point for each genre of writing and then go into more of the "craft" lessons while students practice with their chosen writing.
kristen_teach is offline   Reply With Quote

Mariely

Writing Superstars
Old 06-28-2011, 05:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Melissa Forney recently informed me that she is waiting on funds to be able to republish Writing Superstars. She uses her own money to do so since she owns the publishing company that makes it. However, due to the status of the economy, she hasn't been able to get it republished but hopes to do so as soon as she can. The original price of the book is $24.95. The reason Amazon lists it for that price is because there's a seller that has the book and knows that it is not in circulation at the moment. I would recommend you check later to see if it's available. You can check on Amazon or on her site www.forneyeducational.com. Right now, you will not find Writing Superstars on her site, but can check later for it.

As for Writing Whizardry, the reason you found that price is because it is out of circulation because there's a new edition for it. Check out this link: http://www.amazon.com/Writing-Whizar...9269387&sr=8-1

The price of the new edition is $13.57 on Amazon.

I hope this helps!