Book Club for 5th and 6th Grade Girls - ProTeacher Community

boysmom

Book Club for 5th and 6th Grade Girls
Old 06-12-2011, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello Fellow Teachers,

I am running a summer book club for 5th and 6th girls. I was thinking about having us read The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. Now I am worried it may be a bit too heavy for the girls. If you have read it or used it with kids, what are your thoughts on using this book? Does anyone have any other suggestions for titles that 5th and 6th grade girls would especially like? We are already doing StarGirl and Summer of the Swans.

boysmom is offline   Reply With Quote

nolechik99

Summer Book Club for Girls
Old 06-12-2011, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi! I've done The Boy in the Striped Pajamas with my high readers and they really enjoyed it. I would definitely make sure parents are involved so they can provide background knowledge. They also can watch the movie afterwards to compare.

I recommend the book Someone Named Eva. This book gives another perspective of WWII through the eyes of a girl who is taken from her home country to be a "German" Girl.

Here are some other titles I recommend:

Out of My Mind - Sharon Draper
Among the Hidden - Margaret Peterson Haddix
The Gollywhopper Games
The Candy Makers - Wendy Mass

Also, how do you run your summer book club?
nolechik99 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Novel Suggestions
Old 06-12-2011, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Island of the Blue Dolphins is a survival story about a young girl. Th events of this this situation should promote great discussion.

What about the Diary of Anne Frank? They will be able make connections with her since she was so close to their age when she wrote her diary.

Freak The Mighty is a great story of friendship. Boys and girls this age enjoy this story.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

boysmom

Summer Book Club Set Up
Old 06-13-2011, 06:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Ten girls come to my house once week for 6 weeks. Each week we discuss the book we read, not question an answers, but real discussions. I also plan some sort of activity to do with each book, something fun, no worksheets allowed. The first book we read is Star Girl by Jerry Spinelli. After we discuss the book this week, the girls are going to write inspiring words or goals on some smooth river rocks and then put them in a small bucket that they can keep on their desk at home, or in their locker. I charge a fee for the book club, enough to cover the cost of the books, the supplies, and my time. The girls get to keep the books and they love that part too.

jady_marie

Old 06-13-2011, 07:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The Girls would be a great book to be read by a group of 5th and 6th grade girls. This book would bring lots of discussion as it deals with cliques which most teens will encounter. This book is told through the viewpoints of a group of five friends.

Another book that would bring great discussion would be Hunger Games. How could society come to this?

jady_marie is offline   Reply With Quote

boysmom

Ty
Old 06-25-2011, 07:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks love The Girls book!!!! It really hit home with my girls.
Fatimah

Fatimah

How to run a summer book club...
Old 06-26-2011, 10:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Usually you should plan what books you want to read first or ask your friends too. You can meet once a month or once a week etc. Discuss every chapter, do activity and anything that is creative!! )

-Coming from a 7th grader

NatalieSEC

CandyMakers
Old 01-17-2013, 12:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hi there!
Do you happen to have any good Pre-reading activities for CandyMakers novel? I am beginning this book with my special ed class in middle school and would love some feedback on how to introduce it and provide some great warm-up questions for them.
Thanks so much!!
NatalieSEC is offline   Reply With Quote