How did you do on Praxis 0049... - ProTeacher Community

Leftytoo2

How did you do on Praxis 0049...
Old 06-13-2011, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Middle School English Language Arts? I felt like I did well on the multiple choice (I'm sure I got some wrong, but I felt pretty sure of most of my answers). However, there were 2 essays, one on analyzing a poem and the other about scoring a student's written work. I did the second essay first and felt really good about that one, but I didn't finish the other essay, on analyzing a poem! I did get a chance to mention story elements of imagery, alliteration, and tone, but I ran out of time right in the middle. Did anyone else have that happen? Or did you not do as well on the essays and still pass? That's the only thing I'm worried about.

Leftytoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Praxis
Old 06-13-2011, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm an old teacher and didn't have to take the Praxis English/LA Praxis for original certification. I did take the middle school math Praxis in order to be highly qualified and keep that certification on my license (although I haven't taught math in years). I felt pretty good about the multiple choice but knew I didn't do well on the constructed response questions. One I barely even got to. My score was actually quite good. I wouldn't worry too much. I think you've probably done fine.
Cassyree is online now   Reply With Quote

Leftytoo2

Thanks
Old 06-14-2011, 08:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

for your reply, Cassyree. It is reassuring! :-)

teacherwriter

I did manage to finish both essays
Old 06-15-2011, 01:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I just took Praxis 0049 last weekend, plus Praxis 0012 (elementary ed content area exercises), which has four essay questions. Yep, two essay-based tests--six questions--in one day. I figure I wrote just under 20 pages total. Whew. I did manage to finish all the essays on both tests, with about 15 minutes to spare on each test. I don't have scores yet, of course, but I think I did well. But my grad school adviser told me when she took the high school English test a few years ago, she didn't finish one essay--and she has a Ph.D. So I figure you're probably OK if you got most of the points at least mentioned and did well on the writing eval essay and the multiple-choice questions.

After having done those tests, I think one key is to practice speed in getting organized and writing. It helped to review content, but test strategy is huge. I saw a lot of very cocky people crash on the elementary ed test. Later I overheard a bunch of them saying that they never got to an essay or had only 10 minutes to do one. But from all appearances, they all just started writing without looking through the entire test, and it didn't look like any of them made notes before they started writing. Before I wrote a thing, I went over every question and made notes on each one in the test booklet. As I wrote an essay, if I thought of an idea for another essay, I went back and jotted it down quickly. The planning took about 10 minutes, but it really helped because once I got back to the questions, I didn't panic--I had a framework.

Good luck to you!
teacherwriter is online now   Reply With Quote

Mpanda1022

how'd you do?
Old 07-30-2011, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Leftytoo - How did you end up doing? I too recently took this test and did not get to start the second essay question. Could you tell me how many mult. choice you got and what your score ended up being? I'm trying to put my mind at ease as my job relies on this.

Mpanda1022 is offline   Reply With Quote

Leftytoo2

Mpanda1022--about the Praxis
Old 08-10-2011, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Sorry, I just saw your message and I couldn't email you. You asked how I did on the Middle School Praxis. I scored 190 out 200. I had 4 wrong on the multiple choice and got 7/12 on the essays. So you can still score well if you don't do one of the essays.

4teach

study materials
Old 08-15-2011, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Leftytoo2: What did you use to study? I have to take this test in Sept and I am freaking out. I am getting my MS certification by a different route that my state offers which doesn't require me to take any MS courses. I am trying to study the literature part, but I am struggling. Any suggestions?
4teach is offline   Reply With Quote

Leftytoo2

the MS ELA praxis
Old 08-16-2011, 12:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I just used the Praxis book. I think the Cliffnotes version is good too and you can get that at Amazon. Really, I think if you are well read, it helps. I read a lot of YA literature. And if you just have good proofreading/grammar skills, you'll be fine. One of the essays required you to interpret a poem--you'll see one just like it in the Praxis book--and that was kind of hard for me. That was the one I just barely got started on, yet I still passed. If you do really well on the multiple choice, you can still end up passing even if you don't get to the essays. I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

4teach

Thanks!
Old 08-17-2011, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Oh, you helped! Thanks again
4teach is offline   Reply With Quote