Daily 5 or Work Stations? HELP! - ProTeacher Community

sacattack

Daily 5 or Work Stations? HELP!
Old 06-13-2011, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Wow, I'm really confused. I just finished reading 'The Sister's' Daily 5 book and I'm all pumped up but then I am also reading Debbie Diller's "Literacy Work Station" (to brush up on what I've been doing in my classroom) and it sounds amazing too.

As much as I think Daily 5 is awesome...what about all the other great practice the kids get with word sorts, interactive word wall activities, etc? You know, typical centers?

I need help...I obviously can't do both. Maybe that's what I'm having a hard time figuring out...does Daily 5 not do anything hands on other than reading and writing? Did I miss something in the Daily 5 book?

sacattack is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 06-13-2011, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You can add lots of the literacy work station types of stuff in the Word Work part of Daily 5. You just have to make sure that these are things they learn to do independently.

If I had to choose, I'd do Daily 5. But I do think you can combine the two to a certain extent.
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

sacattack

Thanks...
Old 06-13-2011, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Everyone is raving about Daily 5 and I am so intrigued.
Thanks so much for a speedy reply. (I'm new to ProTeacher, too!)

beachbumteach

me too
Old 06-13-2011, 09:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I must second that!!! You can most certainly bring in hands-on activities in with the Word Work portion of Daily 5 such as the word sorts and word wall things you just mentioned.

One reason why I'm so drawn to The Daily 5 is because it is so teacher-friendly and easy to manage once it is up and running. I never have to worry about changing out my work stations and deciding what to put in them each week. That was just too much work for me. Also, I dont really have to create much for Daily 5 either. When I did work stations, it seemed as though I was always making task cards, activities, etc.

Good luck!!!
beachbumteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Laotic

Word Work
Old 06-14-2011, 12:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with PP's that you can put all those hands-on activities into the "Word Work" component of the program. In the first few weeks when you are setting up the routines and expectations, you can practice the re-occurring Word Work tasks with (small groups) the students.

What I love most about the Daily five is that my students did challenge themselves (because they are involved in their goal-setting), now have independent work habits that they were able to transfer to other curriculum areas and became more responsible learners.

They loved the choice elements in the program. I focused with them on being balanced (not always choosing the same tasks and reading partners) and on always "showing your best work".

BTW I used D5 for the first time this year in Kinder. Will use it next year again (but in Grade 4)

Laotic is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherShan

I agree
Old 06-14-2011, 04:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree with many of the other posts that D5 would be great to use in your reading and writing block. I had a fellow Gr. 1 teacher that used literacy work stations before she did D5 and still used the literacy work stations for work in the morning when the students came in. We had 15-20 minutes where students trickled in to the classroom. Just a thought.
teacherShan is offline   Reply With Quote

starley

Old 06-14-2011, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Debbie Diller changed my world about 5 years ago. I love literacy workstations. My kids could stay in one station for an hour and still not get bored and stay focused on the 'work'. I have incorporated D5 along with workstations. My workstation time is a blend of both management ideas and has become uniquely mine. And it varies year to year depending on the kids. I do what works best for us and it changes throughout the school year as they become more independent readers and writers.
starley is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2chat

Old 06-14-2011, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I also incorporate work stations into my word work. The kids love the hands on activities. Word Work is probably my kids favorite of the D5. I also use a lot of technology for word work as well which they love.
luv2chat is offline   Reply With Quote

myoung

starley
Old 06-14-2011, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'd love to hear more about how you blend the two programs. What does your instructional block include/look like? I've tried both in the past and can see the merit in them both, but feel a bit hazy as to how you'd tie them together.
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote

teach4k

Old 06-14-2011, 08:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We started D5 this year at my school. Actually we were not given the choice to do it or not....we had to do it. K-3 only. Well I had a very low class and also had the ESOL students. It was very difficult to follow D5 with the students that I had. Our reading coach told me that I wasn't doing it correctly. She said when the students were off task I had to call them back together and redirect. Well, if I did it each and every time a student is off task I would never had any time to work with small groups.

The type of students that I had were not yet capable of sitting for an extended period of time and read to self. These students could barely read at all.

So for me....D5 was not working in my class. As much as I was required to follow it....I really didn't and did more work stations and got good results.

When you have low levels, ADHD, ADD, & ESOL students it does have some negatives.
teach4k is offline   Reply With Quote

ar719

luv to chat and starly
Old 06-15-2011, 02:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'd love to hear what you use for the word work time. I have used this time for them to practice Spelling words with shaving cream or writing or other word practice but feel like I need to tweak it a bit. I'd love some ideas.
ar719 is offline   Reply With Quote

beachbumteach

building muscle memory
Old 06-15-2011, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Quote:
She said when the students were off task I had to call them back together and redirect. Well, if I did it each and every time a student is off task I would never had any time to work with small groups.

This part of Daily 5 is hard to do indeed. However, it is a very important part of Daily 5. It has to do with building the students' muscle memories and not letting the kids practice the I-chart behaviors the wrong way. If they practice the wrong way, they will learn them the wrong way and this will turn into habits for the children (not beneficial). With a student population like you had, this would be the way to go. I'm sure it was difficult and I am very curious to hear what others have to say about Daily 5 for a population such as this.

Slowly build stamina until students can handle it is key. Start slow to eventually get big!!! Another option would be to allow those barameter children who are having trouble with building stamina, to practice for a short amount of time at recess or another time. The use of sand timers and a tactile activity such as using play-doh or pattern blocks to break the time up for barameter children is also mentioned on the Sisters website.
beachbumteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Teachr4

starley
Old 06-15-2011, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I would also love to hear how you meshed the two. I think there are benefits to both and could use some of your knowledge.
Teachr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

luv 2 tch

Love Daily 5!
Old 06-15-2011, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I used Debbie Diller's format with workstations before I switched to Daily 5 this past school year. I definitely love Daily 5 much more!! I had hands-on supplies available for Word Work. The time spent preparing workstations, even though I had done them for many years and had supplies, was gone with Daily 5! Not only that, but the Daily 5 provided so much more for my students to do on their level than I felt that workstations did.

I saw much more reading/writing growth in my students with Daily 5 than workstations, which is the most important aspect to me!!
luv 2 tch is offline   Reply With Quote

teach4k

Old 06-15-2011, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Thank you Beachbumteach.....

I might not have explained the "off task" part very good. When I say that it was when they maybe stopped reading for a minute or two but then went back....if they looked around....if they didn't seem like they were reading because they flipped through a few pages. These kiddos could not sit and read for long periods of time. She wanted us to build stamina...that is great...when the child knows how to read. I would sometimes have those students go on listen to read.....she didn't want them doing that all the time ....but they didn't know how to read ....I would tell her...no excuses...When you are having something kind of forced down your throat...you just want to end it ....this reading coach never had to deal with students who were ESOL or low level or ADD/ADHD...she didn't know what I was going through.
teach4k is offline   Reply With Quote

Fitz_Reads

Old 06-16-2011, 11:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

My class dynamics were similar to yours. But, like what BeachBumTeach said, slowly build stamina until sudents can handle it is key. It initially took longer than what I expected. Another key factor is that the students must choose books that interest them and are at their independent level.

In regards to students not knowing how to read the words, I taught them the 3 ways to read a book: Read the Pictures, Read the Words, and Retell the Story. I taught and modeled (like crazy) how to read the pictures. I modeled reading the pictures by talking about each picture in the book.

Last edited by Fitz_Reads; 06-16-2011 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: Added text
Fitz_Reads is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachNFriend

Teach4k
Old 06-24-2011, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

You have just shared my biggest fear. I have a group coming to me in the fall that fits your description to a T and as I'm reading D5 I'm wondering if building their stamina will actually work. I have 4 ADHD boys, only one of whom is consistently on meds (he's also FAS). Out of those 4, 2 of them have trouble sitting still for longer than 5-10 minutes at a time. They often work at their desks standing simply because they need that sensory input. Trying to gain their attention to teach is a daily struggle because they lose focus so quickly.

I saw the video of the sisters dealing with the little girl and offering her a special fabric spot, and play doh breaks. I was impressed, but I would have to do that with at least 5 or 6 kids in my room next year. (Kids are very needy, behavior is a MAJOR problem at the school I'm in, no parental support AT ALL and overall motivation is pretty low.)

I guess I'm saying that your post struck a chord with my own concerns...What is your plan for next year? Will you continue some version of D5 because it is required? Will you be moving towards a Reader/Writer's Workshop model? What would you have done differently if given a redo?
TeachNFriend is offline   Reply With Quote

sacattack

Thanks...
Old 06-25-2011, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I appreciate your advice...and I really am hoping it is teacher friendly! I love management.

luvtoread25

Daily 5/workstations
Old 06-26-2011, 11:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I read Debbie Diller's Literacy Workstations last summer and was very excited about trying some of her ideas; however this past year, I had several students who did not work well independently. I quickly realized workstations take a lot of time and energy to keep up. I still like a lot of her ideas though. I participated in a book study this past year on The Daily 5 and Cafe. I have decided I am doing daily 5 this year. We have been told that we don't have to strictly follow the basal so I feel more free to try something different because the basal is not working for most of our low achieving students. Comprehension is also an area that most of our students do not excel in. I like the comprehension ideas in the Cafe book. I do think I will incorporate some of Debbie Diller' s ideas into the Word Work portion of the Daily 5. I am anxious to see if this helps improve student achievement. I also have a challenging class coming up this year, but I'm determined to start out slow, build stamina and make this year a successful one for my students. I appreciate the helpful suggestions and ideas on this site.
luvtoread25 is offline   Reply With Quote