Daily Five in 5th Grade - ProTeacher Community

raccoonteach

Daily Five in 5th Grade
Old 06-14-2011, 07:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am hoping some of you who have experience with using the Daily Five and The CAFE in your 5th grade classroom can give me some tips. I just finished reading both books and I would love to try it in my class next year. It seems to be a great way to incorporate differentiated instruction as well as incorporating state standards. What are your thoughts?

Sam5

Daily 5 Fifth Grade
Old 06-14-2011, 11:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I used the CAFE board and conferencing with my fifth graders this year and I did three rotations of Daily 5. One rotation was either - word work, grammar, nonfiction, fiction, or listening (changing that to writing next year,) The other rotation was self selected reading. They also met with me in a group one of the roations. I assigned when they did what but I am thinking about more choice next year - just not sure yet. I also did require accountability for all the rotations. There is a great group on this site called Upper Elementary Daily Five. You should check it out. I think you would find it helpful.

Byke

Daily 5...
Old 06-15-2011, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I used The Daily 5 for the last nine weeks. I incorporated the CAFE, also. We had 5 choices: Read to self, Read to another, Listen to Reading, Writing, and Word Work. Students did three 30 minute blocks each day. I taught mini lessons at the beginning of each block: one reading, one writing, one grammar each day.

I also differentiated with a "Reading Squares." Students had tasks on 16 squares that they had to complete each week. Squares included things like

1. Read one non ficiton book and do a web about a topic

2. Read a Louis Sachar bok for one block.

3. Use your spelling words in a newspaper article about a current events topic in the newspaper.

Students really had to manage their time well to complete everything. The "Reading Squares" were differentiated to each student. I had three or four different versions each week.

I LOVE the Daily 5! I have taught for 18 years, and I have NEVER seen kids read so much! Reading levels jumped at the end of fifth grade this year more than ever!

Some comments from my students,

"We are doing this thing called the daily five. It's awesome. I don't hate reading now!"

"I love getting to read what I want!"

"I think I'm actually going to finish the Percy Jackson series this summer! I've never read for fun before."

I can send you a copy of the reading squares if you are interested. Good Luck!

msnisha

Daily 5 in fifth
Old 06-15-2011, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

BYKE,
I would love to see a copy of your reading squares. I have used the Daily 5 in second grade and had great success. The students' reading levels and their love for reading improved dramatically. I am moving up to fifth and would like to incorporate CAFE. However, I am trying to figure out how to change up the "5". I don't know if I will use all 5 or how I will change them. I also feel like they need to do more work during that time, so Im thinking the reading squares would help. Any suggestions you can provide will be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

raccoonteach

Daily Five in 5th Grade
Old 06-16-2011, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you so much for the information. I am so excited to give the daily five and daily cafe a go in my new fifth grade classroom. I love the reading squares idea. If you can post an example of one that you already have that would be great too. Thanks again.

ceb33

reading squares
Old 06-18-2011, 04:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Could you send me a copy of the reading squares? I'm a fifth grade teacher going to try to get started with the daily 5 this year! Thanks!

scootercat72

Daily Five and the reading squares
Old 06-24-2011, 09:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I read the books last summer and tried to start the Daily Five but the principal at my school kept me from doing what I wanted due to what she thought we should be doing. I am determined to try again this year and be successful with it. I will have to modify it somewhat as we have to include Shurley English, but I will do it. If you could send me a copy of the reading squares or post it here, I would appreciate it so much. We have to help each other as much as possible.

boysmom

moving in the right direction
Old 06-25-2011, 07:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I use a mixture of Daily 5 but mostly I just want the kids to read, really read, no fake reading allowed.

kugelmom

Please send me a copy of the reading squares!
Old 06-25-2011, 10:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I want to try the Daily 5 in my 5th grade classroom. I would love to see a copy of the reading squares.

kugelman at earthlink dot net

I have to write it this way or Teachers dot net wrecks it!

Francie

raccoonteach

Old 07-30-2011, 08:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thank you for the tips! I am really excited to get The Daily Five up and going this year. I love your ideas.

Tarebear1017

Reading Squares
Old 08-02-2011, 10:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Would you mind sending me a copy of the reading squares also? I am new to this site, so I am not sure how to receive attachments. Let me know.

Secondly, how do you grade all the work from the Daily 5 model? Students are constantly doing work but I am not sure how to make them accountable for the work they do. Do you use this daily work (word work, work on writing, reading responses) for grades? There has to be a way to hold students accountable while you are conferring or meeting with guided reading groups.

Any informations is appreciated!

schoolizfun

Old 08-02-2011, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I was wondering the same thing...

NYLADEA

reading squares and the cafe
Old 08-05-2011, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I would love to see a template of the reading squares. Also, I am going to try the cafe but I am so confused on how to get started this coming school year. Any suggestions

missusv

Daily five for 4th grade
Old 12-17-2011, 08:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I would love to see your reading squares. I am trying to start daily five after the holiday break. We already do a lot of Self-selected Reading, but I'm unsure about the other areas. Thanks for your help!

Crystal

Reading Squares
Old 01-10-2012, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I would be THRILLED to see the reading squares from Byke. If any of you received them, please PM me or post them.

JennyBean, I would love to see your math squares as well.

Both of these ideas seem like a great way to hold the kids accountable as they do Daily 5 and Daily 5 Math.

THANKS SO MUCH!