My feet hurt when I get out of bed - ProTeacher Community

Funsun11

My feet hurt when I get out of bed
Old 06-19-2011, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

It is the weirdest thing...for the past several weeks, I have noticed that when I get out of bed and stand up to walk my feet hurt when walking. Then I have been sitting in bed with the laptop on my lap and I just sat up and my left heel hurts. Has anyone ever experienced this?

GraceKrispy

Old 06-19-2011, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Actually, now that you mention this, I had this trouble a lot a while ago. I can't remember if I was pregnant at the time or what... now I wonder! I do remember a long period of time when my feet hurt every time I got out of bed. I haven't had it for a long time, though.

shuntyswife

Old 06-19-2011, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If were more of your toes I would think arthritis, which I have. Since it is your heels it may be tendonitis, which my dad has. He has started walking like an old man because his heels hurt him so badly. He needs surgery but won't do it so it is just getting worse and worse...

Could you just have like a stone bruise or something? I hope it's nothing serious!

luv2chat

Old 06-19-2011, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Sounds like plantar fasciitis. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0004438/

roo

Old 06-19-2011, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Could it be plantar fasciitis? I know several people who have this and it is painful!
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0004438/

oops! posted # same time! funny that we both posted the EXACT same link!

GraceKrispy

Old 06-19-2011, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

ooh- I get that a lot! Well, enough. Maybe I remember it from being pregnant because of the extra weight. And I did run for a while, too. lol

Funsun11

Old 06-19-2011, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I thought it may plantar faciitis...Although I am not a 40-70 year old man...but I have simliar symptoms...I do wear flip flops all the time but they are flip flops with arch support and /or sneakers...but I have gained weight and I am struggling with trying to get it off. I seriously need ot lose weight especially since my family has a history of diabetes....I have gained almost 40 lbs in the past two years...sigh... I appreciate your help in diagnosing my pain. TIA

L8 4 School

Or....
Old 06-19-2011, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

could it be summer shoes???? I notice my feet hurt more in the summer because summer shoes (or the ones I wear, like flip flops) don't have as much support.

Tiki

Tight Achilles tendons?
Old 06-19-2011, 08:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I had pain in my heals up through the back of my ankles when getting up in the morning and if I had been sitting for a long time. It didn't bother me much at other times, but I would limp if I had been sitting for a while.

It turned out to be my achilles tendons were tight. My doctor gave it a name, but I don't remember what it is and said it is quite common. The treatment were stretches as many times a day as I could (at least 5), more is better. To stretch you go up on your toes, hold for a few seconds come down and repeat 10 times. Then put a foot against a wall to stretch the back of the tendon. Repeat with other foot. Within a week or so the pain was reduced and eventually was gone.

Peaches Pears

Old 06-19-2011, 08:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

plantar fasciitis

Takes awhile for this to heal.
It can be quite painful.

saraebeth

Old 06-19-2011, 09:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I vote for plantar fascitis too. I've had it for years, it's not fun! I actually tore the entire plantar fascia in September right before school starts. That is even more fun!

act56

???
Old 06-19-2011, 09:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Sounds like plantar or even a heel spur. i've had both-very painful. if its plantar there are exercies that will ease the pain. i've dealt with the heel spur by watching what shoes i wear. while i'm no expert on flip-flops, i've had my suspicion about them. i googled "wearing flip flops"- not good for you!!! check some of those out yourself.

tia

plantar fasciitis
Old 06-19-2011, 10:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

yep--that's it. what's with the 40-70 year old man comment? i have never heard of a man with this problem, but i know many women with it, including myself.

*gained weight makes mine worse
*it's worse when you get up from sitting/lying

some helpful hints:
*stretch before standing (flex and point; massage foot, especially heel)
*lose weight (insert phlllllllltttt smiley here)
*avoid wearing flat shoes and going barefoot (geez, it's been summer for 2 weeks, no wonder my PF has flared up so bad!)
*use a tennis ball to roll around on your arch to stretch area out

becky1

feet hurt
Old 06-20-2011, 03:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I also vote for plantar fasciitis. I have the problem every morning. My suggestions are:
- Stretch your feet before getting out of bed.
- Don't go barefoot.
- I have a pair of flip flops with arch support that I wear around the house. Those flip flops sit beside my bed and I immediately put them on in the mornings.
- Buy good shoes. I can't wear the same shoes two days in a row when teaching.

Hifiman

As others have said, plantar faciitis
Old 06-20-2011, 05:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

is my guess. That's what I'm currently suffering from. Sitting just a few minutes and then getting up is the worst. It really hurts those first few steps.

Hylin

Old 06-20-2011, 05:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I agree with a lot of PP about it being PF.

Mine got so bad last summer that I went to the ER. Now I have foot braces that I wear at night that keep my feet in a stretched out position. I also completely quit wearing crappy shoes of any kind. No more Payless or any other cheep shoes like that. The good news is that PF flairs up and then goes away. I've been relatively pain free for about 6 months now, which I attribute to good shoes, and my braces.

bi_skj

plantar fascitis
Old 06-20-2011, 06:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

My vote is Plantar Fascitis too. I had it in my right heel about 2 years ago. I went to the dr., found out some excercises I should do ignored it and it actually got better after time. However, it came back a couple of months ago and is now in both heels and kills me every morning when I get up. I had an appointment a few weeks ago to get cortizone shots in both heels but found out the day before that I am pregnant. My OB/GYN said it was okay to get the shots but the foot dr. said no. I leaned towards being safe than sorry so for now, I'm just dealing with it. A friend at work also has this and recommended Sperry shoes, found at Dillards. They are pretty expensive ($90) but I got a pair and they are really comfortable. You have to find a pair though that has good arch support. I just can't bring myself to wear SAS shoes! BTW- I know 3 other teachers who have this problem, all women ages 27-53.

Hifiman

I think it's really funny that some people
Old 06-20-2011, 06:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

think this is something limited to women.

IA11

Old 06-20-2011, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

It's not just a 'woman' thing -- My dh suffers from it periodically -- he works in retail and is on his feet constantly. Doc even gave him some numbing creme to rub on his feet.

I have had it in the past -- doc prescribed stretching. . . . and said to wear better shoes! I can't wear any 'cute' shoes anymore -- it's pricey tennis shoes for me -- of course, HiFi doesn't really have to worry about the 'cute' shoe issue! ;-)

Of course, I attribute all foot problems from running in men's combat boots while I was in the army (many, many moons ago)!

salem

Old 06-20-2011, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Eeeek....I had this and it was plantar fasciitis.

Started treatment with a podiatrist last summer the week school was out. Did stretching exercises, cortisone shots, binding of my foot, and finally saw a physical therapist twice a week. He did some new fangled thing on my leg where they broke the muscle in the back of my leg everytime I went---VERY painful and bruising...

Long story short, it took almost a year to heal and the thing that I think was the key to healing was when I ordered a "boot" that I slept in. It was healed almost overnight. Seriously.

Whenever I feel it coming on again, I wear the boot to bed. I also NEVER get out of bed in the morning without doing my stretching exercises first. It seems to have been the ticket for me. OH--and get rid of ALL your flat shoes!!! I bought good inserts and wear them in all of my shoes, and I rarely wear a shoe that is completely flat or I am in pain!!!

P.S. Google exercises for plantar fasciitis---they are exactly the ones my therapist had me do!

salem