Pocket Folder for middle school (ELA) binder? - ProTeacher Community

MiddlingAZ

Pocket Folder for middle school (ELA) binder?
Old 06-21-2011, 08:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This year I want to streamline their LA notebook and use a vinyl (for durability) 2-pocket folder with prongs instead of a ring binder. I've had some families insist on an accordian file and this could fit in the ELA pocket of a file. I'm in the process of thinking it through and would love ideas that have worked for you, even if you don't teach ELA. I'm weary of photocopying reams of stuff which end up as wads in the bottom of backpacks and the weight these kiddos lug around

FRONT POCKET
To Do (current classwork/homework)

BACK POCKET
Blank notebook paper.
I'm thinking of having them somehow track their grade on a chart this year. Does anyone do anything like this?
I am also going to tweak my Revising/Editing Checklist
(which I posted here http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=337762)
and try to make it one-size-fits-all for every writing assignment. Students will accumulate the collection through the year. I am thinking that they will file them with the writing pieces in their manila folder Portfolio kept in the room, but maybe note their personal frequent errors on an on-going Log kept in the pocket folder--?? To refer to when writing a new piece??

MIDDLE SECTION in PRONGS
I've always had students keep a reference section of handouts in their binder. I'd like to get it down to the nitty gritty. I'm thinking of handing out a plastic sheet protector for it.
While I was waiting at the car wash, I saw a display of those quick guides (2-page laminated folders) and there was one for grammar and punctuation. I copied the idea and pasted together a short guide from our grammar book.
What else? Proofreading marks chart because I simplify the chart in the back of their text. Lit Terms glossary and a lot of other things I have copied by the reams are in the reference section in the back of the text! I want them to use that more than we do.

Thanks for any feedback. Summer always brings optimism for the new year and I'd like this idea to work

MiddlingAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

trishg1

I like it
Old 06-21-2011, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I really like the idea of the vinyl binder. Are you thinking about making the grader tracker mandatory? I can see that some students would, but many of mine wouldn't.

Just some questions to guide your thought process: How many pages do you think will be in the prongs? I would think 5 sheet protectors would be about the most that would get used. Would they remain the same all year? Or would students replace some of them as the year progressed? What will the final product look like? How will students use it? Do you have a model? (that is the part I fail most. I have an idea, but do not model it for them) Are you going to color code the pages for topic?
trishg1 is online now   Reply With Quote