Help

ARCHIVE

best teaching shoes?

>

ellenalesa

best teaching shoes?
Old 02-26-2007, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have Dansko sandals but they are not appropriate for interviewing. I tried getting the shoes but I don't like the fit...I feel like I'm going to walk right out of them. It was explained to me that this is how they're supposed to fit, but I just don't feel comfortable.

I'm looking for a nice black oxford or some other type of shoe that isn't too clunky and would look good w/a pantsuit.

Are there any other brands that have arch support?

Thanks for your help.

ellenalesa is offline   Reply With Quote

suem

interview
Old 02-26-2007, 08:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you are getting shoes just for an interview, I wouldn't worry so much about if you can stand on your feet all day long with them. Just make sure they look nice with what you are wearing. If you have the job, you want shoes that are comfortable. I don't know brands. My mother had the typical woman shoe thing enough for two generations, but when I get shoes for work, I look for comfort and shoes that will look nice no matter if I am in a dress or jeans.
suem is offline   Reply With Quote

IMSaved2

Old 02-26-2007, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Merrell, SAS, or Munro shoes are extremely comfortable (like slippers) and come in a wide variety of styles. They are average price (not cheap, but not extravagant) and well worth the cost.
IMSaved2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeanne b

Clarkes
Old 02-26-2007, 09:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I really like the Clarke shoes. They are extremely comfortable. I'm not sure that I'd use them for an interview but for standing/walking all day at school I find them very good.
Jeanne b is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 02-26-2007, 10:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I also like Clarke for teaching shoes. I wouldn't worry about how interview shoes feel. You won't be doing a lot of standing. Just get some shoes that will work with your outfit.

TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Penny

interviewing
Old 02-26-2007, 10:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Last time I interviewed I had a pair of flip-flops in the car. I changed into heels before going in and changed immediately back into flip-flops for the drive home.

When going to job fairs, do think about comfort first though. I made the mistake of standing and sweating in ill-fitting heels for 2 days. My feet did not like me. Nice looking flats would have been a much better choice.
Penny is offline   Reply With Quote

JRichard

Old 02-26-2007, 10:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

For everyday teacher wear, I highly recommend the Grasshoppers brand. My feet feel like I've been lounging all day when I get home! On the day of our state tests, I walked 13,000 steps and my feet were only slightly achy.

For interviews, I have a couple of pairs of Life Stride heeled mules with pointy toes that are super cute and professional. They are actually comfortable enough to wear all day also.

Jenny
JRichard is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 02-26-2007, 12:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I like Life Stride for dressy comfort. For everyday wear I love my Birkenstocks! Most people thing clogs & sandals, but they have shoes and boots, too!
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

shoes
Old 02-26-2007, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I wear Easy Spirit shoes mostly. I too like Clarks. The other brand I wear is Aerosoles. I always wear flat or very low healed shoes because they are easier on the back. Plus I don't care for the look of heals.
I used to buy cheaper shoes to have enough to match outfits. They would fall apart one way or another. Now that I buy only quality name brand shoes, they last a lot longer and they are by far more comfortable. A good place to buy these is in an outlet mall. They have whole stores for just Clarks, or Easy Spirits. There you'll find more of a selection and less expensive prices.
Easy Spirit is my favorite brand.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

okstatemandy

Comfy Shoes
Old 02-26-2007, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I would agree with all the previously noted suggestions, but I would also suggest Birkenstocks, ECCOs, and Josef Seibels. I sold shoes all through high school and college. I recommed any of the these brands to anyone who stands on their feet most of the day. They are all European brands and all have awesome support. They are all along the same lines as Dansko's minus the slipping of the heel.

Hope this helps

okstatemandy is offline   Reply With Quote

SoCalTeach

Quarks?
Old 02-26-2007, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have been looking online for a comfortable teaching shoe, and came across Quarks. I am thinking about bying the Quarkies, but would like to know if anyone here has ever purchased them.
SoCalTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Kate26

agree
Old 02-26-2007, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I agree with the previous posts about the comfortable brands. I mainly wear Clarks and SAS to teach in.
I have heard that some employers judge a potential employee by their shoes. Most of all, you want shoes that look new and not worn down. Supposely, many people think someone with worn down heels or scuffed leather will not pay attention to details on the job. First impressions are important.
Good luck on your interview.
Kate26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zee

Shoes
Old 02-27-2007, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I love my Merrell's. I wear them just about everyday because they are so comfortable. They go with most things I wear to school. When I'm teaching all day, I think about comfort. I can't do a good job, if I'm not comfortable. For an interview, I would just make sure you can tolerate them for a bit and that they look nice....sorry but I can't really suggest a brand for this.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Bee

Bee

Feet in heaven
Old 02-27-2007, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

with Ecco shoes. I convinced my husband to try them and he loves them. I also convinced, actually pressured, our 20 year old, fashion deva, to try them for a Europe tour. She thinks they are rather ugly, but she was able to walk all over and her feet never got tired compared to other women on the tour who had foot trouble. I still want to try the Dansko because I have heard many positive comments about them. Good luck finding your perfect pair of shoes!

Hylin

Old 03-02-2007, 07:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I'm a clarks girl myself. I also like Borns and Birkenstocks. Also, which these are sort of exclusively sold at the plus sized store Avenue and online, are Cloudwalkers. I also have a couple pairs of Crocs that I wear on more casul days.
Hylin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tchrsbell

comfy shoes
Old 03-03-2007, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I just bought some Easy Spirit tennies that do not look like tennies. They are a olive-type green color with an open back and are very comfortable. I also got a pair of tan ones that do not have the open back, but also slip on. They look good with tan Docker-type pants and do wonders for the feet!

I also LOVE Clarks and Naturalizer shoes.
Tchrsbell is offline   Reply With Quote

ellenalesa

Thanks for the ideas. I just bought Josef
Old 03-03-2007, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Siebel shoes from Zappos. They are comfortable right out of the box! I'm looking forward to getting a nice shoe wardrobe.
ellenalesa is offline   Reply With Quote

ashleymarie81

privos!
Old 03-03-2007, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Clark's Privos are my FAVORITE! They look more "modern" than the typical slip on Clark shoe. My friends who aren't teachers have commented on the "typical" teacher shoes that we all tend to wear. However, they actually think the privos are cute!!
ashleymarie81 is offline   Reply With Quote

myoung

shoes?
Old 03-04-2007, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Maybe this is bad...but I have to admit that I usually end up taking my shoes off at school. Granted, we have a very relaxed atmosphere--but still not the most professional thing to do! (I HATE wearing shoes!)
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote

ubs

Comfortable shoes
Old 03-05-2007, 03:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I also kick off my shoes whenever i can, myoung. Guess it comes from growing up in the south. I love Borns and Crocs. My principal has not actually come out and said to not wear the Crocs-so until she does I wear them. We cannot wear flip-flops-even cute ones which kills me. I really fight against the "teacher shoe" thing even though I am old enough to give in. Some of the teachers in my school run around in heels, and I think they are nuts. Why would a kinder teacher wear 3 inch heels? I go as casual as I can.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote