To all those creative bloggers and TPT sellers.... - ProTeacher Community

teach82

To all those creative bloggers and TPT sellers....
Old 06-27-2011, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm curious about blogging. I've been reading a lot of different teacher's blogs lately and I'm wondering how you get started. Where do you get templates and what server do you use to post?

I've also noticed that a lot of you sell on TPT. I love making things for my class and I like to think I'm creative but my stuff is nowhere near as pretty. Where do you get your graphics and fonts? What programs do you use to create your documents?

I would like to make some extra income for my growing family and new childcare costs and I figure if I make it anyway for school...

How much time do you spend weekly/monthly on your blog? On making TPT items? Is it worth it?

Sorry for so many questions but seeing all the amazing blogs out there has inspired me!! Thanks!!

teach82 is offline   Reply With Quote

squigglybee

Old 07-11-2011, 06:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Most teacher bloggers use Blogger which is a free site that hosts your blog. Blogger gives you some choices in templates (but they aren't that cute). Lots of websites have free Blogger templates to use. If you Google "free blogger templates" you'll find all sorts! One teacher created a Sqworl page with all sorts of blog design resources: http://sqworl.com/7zc3he

I sell on TPT. I have a membership and reseller license with ThistleGirlDesigns. It was well worth the money for me personally. Lots of people get graphics from Scrappin' Doodles, DigiWebStudio, and DigiScrapKits. Again, there are tons of graphics sites out there but you have to be careful with their terms of use and make sure you give the appropriate credit on your products or purchase commercial licenses. Same goes for fonts. A lot of fonts you can't use in commericial products. A lot of people get their fonts from Lettering Delights or Kevin and Amanda's Scrapbook fonts.

I create my products primarily in Microsoft Word and save as PDF when needed. I also use a graphics program to create some of my worksheets and things.

I don't have any children, so I am able to devote a lot of time to my blog, FB page, etc. I only started selling on TPT at the very end of March 2011. I didn't make as many new items while school was still in session. I have been creating like crazy since school got out.

For me it is worth it. Since April I have made over $3,000.00 I never believed I would make that much. It has taken some work though. You really have to network with others and promote yourself and your items/blog. If you just post on TPT and never blog or comment on other people's blogs I don't know how much success you will have. You will develop a greater following by having an active blog.

There is a great online course (30 video lessons) that tell you how to go about marketing yourself and creating a following for your blog and products. It is well worth the money to learn a lot of inside tips and develop your blog.
squigglybee is offline   Reply With Quote

jengalanis

interested in the online course
Old 01-22-2012, 09:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Do you think you could send the information this way- it would be greatly appreciated.
jengalanis is offline   Reply With Quote

mardi67

Old 08-06-2012, 11:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would love the information on the video course as well.I just started my blog and have a few things on TPT. Not selling that great though. They are Power Points and I'd love to create worksheets and activity sheets!
mardi67 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachBakeShop

Old 08-19-2012, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have a TPT shop, but I do not blog. I would really like to get into blogging, but I honestly don't know if I have time for it right now. I'm due with my first child in a week, so I know that my time will be very limited. Once I get myself settled into parenthood, I think I'll start blogging. I know that it will increase my TPT sales. I've made about $1500 since the beginning of March. I am very pleased with that, but I would really love to make more.

I get my graphics from Scrappin Doodles.

This is a link to my store in case you would like to see what I've made: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/S...auren-Maiorino I really only make stuff that I can actually use. I really enjoy creating new things, and it is fun to make some extra money.

TeachBakeShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Alisonc787

Alisonc787

Old 04-26-2013, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

What do you use to get the cute background/borders on the worksheets you have made? Are those just graphics from Scrappin Doodle as well? If so, what category would I find them in? Thanks!
Beverly G.

Beverly G.

Online Course
Old 08-05-2013, 01:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Please tell me where I can find the online course you mentioned. Thanks so much!

Please reply
Old 10-19-2013, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am very interested in tpt. Please forward link or info for video site. Thanks and you are so generous to share so much in your post.
12345413 is offline   Reply With Quote

MiddlingAZ

Old 10-21-2013, 07:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

This is an old thread but since 12345413 posted recently, maybe this will be helpful to you.

I don't know about a 30 lesson online course about TpT selling. Since cost is mentioned, it sounds separate from TpT and you could Google it.

However, there is a free 10 lesson video course for TpT sellers right on the TpT site. I think you have to sign up to be a seller since the link is on the sidebar of my Seller Dashboard. There is a free seller membership (they take out more if you sell an item) and a premium membership (you make 85% of everything you sell).

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Video-Course
MiddlingAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thank you
Old 10-21-2013, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thanks for taking the time to respond!
12345413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Klf007

Klf007

Blogging and TpT
Old 02-12-2014, 04:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Hi! I know this is an older thread, but I have found great things on ETSY that can be used for teacher worksheet creations, as well as blog designs and templates. In case you were still looking for some new/more options, you should definitely check out etsy.com, it's a great site! I recently just started blogging (as in just started this month, ha) on blogspot, and it is super easy to use and best of all FREE (so you can use that money on the stuff that makes you money!) Hope this helped a little!

Have a happy Wednesday!