Math Journals/investigations - ProTeacher Community

tcheeme

Math Journals/investigations
Old 06-29-2011, 10:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Last year I used math 1' binders for journals, but the binders seem to big and too bulky. So this year, I decided to use notebooks. We use Math Investigations and I would like to know your ideas and how do you use math journals. Out Kindergarten classes, I believe use labels. I wasn't sure how this could work for firsties. Any ideas would be helpful.

tcheeme is offline   Reply With Quote

Malene

Composition notebooks
Old 06-29-2011, 11:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

is what I used. Walmart had them for 50 cents last August. Each day I gave the students a small strip of paper with a question or math problem on it and they glued it in the journal and answered it. They were to write the date and then show how they worked the problem, with illustrations, words or numbers. I really have to work with them at first, modeling an acceptable answer. I use Saxon Math and it had a Problem of the day that I typed and copyed on printer paper with wide margins. I then cut it into strips for each student.
Malene is offline   Reply With Quote

gatesc

Old 06-29-2011, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I tried math journal last year, but don't think I'm going to have them this year. Our school will be using Math Investigations this upcoming year. Do you have any pointers or advice for me?
gatesc is offline   Reply With Quote

Huskermom

Be patient
Old 06-29-2011, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

is my best advice. We have been "dabbling", working toward full-on Invest. for 4 years. This is the first year we tried to get in every unit and we still ran out of time. (Before now we did 2 units the first year, and increased as we went using Scott Foresman as supplemental or other units all together.) It takes prep, but gets easier and I believe the kids get a lot out of it. We did have to devise our own money/time unit (which is why we didn't get to all the Invest. units)
Huskermom is offline   Reply With Quote

tcheeme

Gatesc
Old 06-29-2011, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We only teach 6 units and we fill in time and money. Prep time is very hard, but it gets easier each year. We had an organization workshop before school was out. So now we have each unit, teachers ed, games, assessments, etc all in hanging files which are housed in two crates from Staples. It's going to be great next year having most things in one place.

lead teacher

Old 06-29-2011, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We have always used the composition notebooks for journals, however we always had a lot of unused space on the page so......A team member of mine had the thought to cut the notebooks in half using a skill saw (her husband did it for us) and they worked really great our first graders.

we use Investigations also....we play LOTS of games. do you have a lot of manipulatives? if not you are going to need them?

linking cubes
counters
dice
cardstock for making some of the games
bead boards
tens frame
number cards

we like the Investigations now.....BUT it took us a while to get acustomed to the play part. we also use Harcourt and Marilyn Burns "Do the Math" for supplements
lead teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

gatesc

tcheeme
Old 06-29-2011, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

What units do you teach? What order do you teach the units?

tcheeme

Gatesc
Old 06-30-2011, 07:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We teach unit 1,2,6,8,9,5. It's hard to figure out the best way to organize manipulatives, so I placed dot cards, number cards, mats in separate containers or bags and labeled each one. I keep all math manipulatives on one shelf. We also have a list of books for each unit and they are together. I thought about placing the books with each lesson in my crates, but you may read the book for more than one lesson.

gatesc

tcheeme
Old 06-30-2011, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks! Before school starts I hope to have all my materials organized.