Help

ARCHIVE

Lesson Plan for teaching the Newspaper

>

DMahaffey

Lesson Plan for teaching the Newspaper
Old 02-27-2007, 10:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Any suggestions concerning teaching the local newspaper. The first full week in March is, "Newspaper in Education Week." That week we are taking a field trip to our local newspaper distribution facility. I have a meeting with the person in charge on Friday, but I'd like to have something before then.

Appreciate any ideas,
Donna

DMahaffey is offline   Reply With Quote

GB

Well...
Old 02-28-2007, 09:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What do you want the students to know about the newspaper?

I would develop plans around the parts of a newspaper, learn how to check the weather, learn how to read and analyze interesting articles.

I would also point out that the newspaper contains local, national, and world news and develop plans (use a big newspaper with cut out articles and chart on divided posterboard as a class) to identify and analyze that.

Learn about how an article is set up, who is the author, how to skim and read for headlines, and so on. Learn about vocabulary that applies to the newspaper--what a caption is, the by-line, dateline...

Kids like the funnies, but also like to get info they can use or apply-again the weather, the opinion page...

You could have students create a classroom newspaper with all the parts after you go through everything. Wouldn't it be neat to have an interview with the principal or address a school issue? Students could write about the things PTSA is doing, etc.

There's probably tons of stuff on the web and also there are resource books for teaching the newspaper as well. Hope this springboards you into some great lesson planning!!
GB is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherCarrie

Old 02-28-2007, 12:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Wow, that's a great idea for a field trip. We live fairly close to our newspaper as well. I'll have to look into that next year. Thanks for the idea.

I have a really old book I bought at a thrift store with a bunch of activities to do with a newspaper. What exactly are you looking for?

On activity I used last year had to do with fact/opinion. Students cut out sentences from different parts of the paper. Then, they made a T-chart on construction paper. With a partner, they had to read the sentence and then decide whether it was a fact or an opinion and then paste it in the right spot.
TeacherCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

newspaper
Old 02-28-2007, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our local newspaper is going to have a Mini-Page feature this weekend on the newspaper, so I'm going to order copies of the paper through NIE. I've always ordered papers in the spring to teach about the paper. We start on the front page and discuss the parts and how to find things. Then I create worksheets with scavenger hunt type questions to help them practice using the newspaper. I include items from all parts of the paper including the individual ads on pages. For example: If I wanted to purchase Pepsi on sale, where could I go this week to purchase it? How much would it cost to buy 3 2-liter bottles? I make sure I use some reading strategies too----main idea, context clues, summarizing, supporting details, etc.

The kids have always loved to dive into the paper and get all that ink on them!!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote