Window coverings?? - ProTeacher Community

time4fun

Window coverings??
Old 07-02-2011, 10:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

For those of you who use valances in your classroom, where do you look for cute fabric? I've checked Wal-Mart and Jo-Ann, but I was thinking about trying to find some fabric with our school mascot.

What other window coverings do you use?

TIA

time4fun is offline   Reply With Quote

noomie

I have
Old 07-02-2011, 10:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

one extremely tall narrow window in my classroom. I found a ready made valance with tab tops at either Wal-Mart or Target (I've had it for several years so I don't remember) that I position on a spring rod about a foot from the bottom of the window sill to block the half day precious preschool faces. At the top of the window, I "thread" fake ivy garland to hang down in staggered lengths to appear like a leafy "curtain". This year I'm going to try a yellow room divider that has strings of disks and beads to freshen up the window decor. We'll see how it looks!
noomie is offline   Reply With Quote

cre8tive_tchr

curtain
Old 07-02-2011, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have an ocean theme so I bought ocean/fish vinyl shower curtains. I cut them (so easy to cut and they don't fray because they're vinyl!) and hung them with shower rings on the rod. It worked perfectly and the best part is that I can just take them down and wipe them off and they are good as new!! I don't know what your theme is, but they have a lot of kids shower curtains in popular classroom themes so I just thought I'd share.
cre8tive_tchr is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. Karen

Window Valance
Old 07-02-2011, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My theme for my classroom is Fish/Ocean. To this end I bought 2 fish cloth shower curtains from Walmart a couple of years ago. I cut them in half, hemmed them and voila!--valences for my 4 windows.

I take them down in May wash them and rehang in August.

When I do take them down the room looks so sterile. They really add to the class.
Mrs. Karen is offline   Reply With Quote

time4fun

Curtains...
Old 07-02-2011, 11:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I actually don't have a theme for my room!

I usually just have bright, energetic colors to make the room feel "happy." My new room will have NINE windows, so I am trying to be creative.

I like the idea of using shower curtains...since I can't sew at all!

time4fun is offline   Reply With Quote

linniccox

Old 07-02-2011, 11:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I used a set of sheets- the fitted goes on my futon, then I cut the bottom off, hemmed three valances for my 3 short windows, and used the rest for my one large window. Then i used the pillow cases on a rod to cover under my sink.

I also velcro half a sheet along the under side of 2 different table. This hides the things I keep under the table- my fridge, and some storage boxes.

I use a shower curtain to cover up my coat rack.
linniccox is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsCupcake2

Placemats
Old 07-02-2011, 12:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If you want to try a no-sew option, I've gotten very cheap placemats and just clipped them with colorful binder clips to the rod. (Bright colored ones will be on the summer clearance sales soon.) They were those super cheap flattened metal rods that clip into the little wall brackets. They were already hanging there, so it was less than $3/window with no work from me. You can easily change them, wash them, rearrange them, use them in your dining room over the summer (hey, I'm cheap). And I was so surprised on how many compliments they got from parents and other teachers. My custom-sewn, made-to-match ones never got noticed, but those did.
MrsCupcake2 is offline   Reply With Quote