Bringing pets to school - ProTeacher Community

choosejoy

Bringing pets to school
Old 02-28-2007, 01:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do any of you have a policy about bringing pets/small farm animals to school? Thanks in advance for info on how you/your school handles this.

choosejoy is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

Special permission
Old 02-28-2007, 02:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Although I have to say farm animals isn't an issue! However, ANY animals (whether dog, turtle, bird, whatever) MUST first go through the principal who then, if his permission is given, then defers to the school nurse who has final say due to allergies.

For instance, we had a K9 come in for police outreach. The coordinator wanted to use the gym which was nixed due to severe allergies and 2 kids who are phobic. A smaller area not used by the younger allergic kids was found, and the phobic kids and their teachers were given a heads up. (The nurse was ticked becuase last time, it was outside which was much less an issue, but it's still winter here now.)
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

marybs

I had 2 GOATS!!
Old 02-28-2007, 05:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes, seriously. I had a parent who lived on a big farm and she asked (because her daughter wanted everyone to see them) so I told her to speak with the principal to make sure it was okay. I really didn't think she would allow it but she did. They were actually really cute (they were babies). The year before I had some kids bring in their dogs for show and share and the principal okayed that as well but they couldn't bring them in at the same time and/or day.
marybs is offline   Reply With Quote

NCP

Our policy is
Old 02-28-2007, 07:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

no animals at school. We have had issues with dogs fighting before and after school, so they are banned then. I also have had a big rise in allergies, so they pretty much are not allowed at all.
NCP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

pets
Old 02-28-2007, 07:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Our school district doesn't allow any animals at school. The reasons I believe are: Allergies, phobias and health department-no animals allowed where people eat.

Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

SC

Old 02-28-2007, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've had kids bring animals before, and it wasn't that big of a deal because I work in a small private school. The coolest thing was a baby deer that a family had taken in while it was sick, but the worst was the pet snake that showed up at school last year
SC is offline   Reply With Quote

sunflowergals

Quack quack!
Old 02-28-2007, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Yesterday and today, a parent brought a duck with her to pick up her daughter after school. She was carrying it in a gift bag and it was causing chaos as the children noticed it. They wanted to touch it, feel his feet, etc. The principal asked her not to bring the duck again. She was upset. We live in the city, not a farm area! One of my kids said-- if she drops that bag, she could have duck soup--- I chuckled to myself. Today was a crazy day!
sunflowergals is offline   Reply With Quote

pantherteach

Quack
Old 02-28-2007, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Sounds like a good title for a Laura Nuemeroff book: If You Bring A Duck to School!

We have a parent who brings their little dog to school quite often. We all gather in the gym/cafeteria 1st thing in the morning for announcements and to recite the pledge. Many times they are in there with the dog. Some of us have expressed complaints to the principal because this is also where the kids eat breakfast and lunch. I don't think anything has ever been said to the parents.
pantherteach is offline   Reply With Quote
new1stteacher

new1stteacher

pets
Old 03-01-2007, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have brought up baby chicks, a snake, and hermit crabs. Many of our teachers have class pets. I have seen rabbits, hampsters, even a tarantula!

We did have a petting zoo come a couple years ago and we had to make sure it was one with insurance etc.