enVision Math objectives - ProTeacher Community

MsMonkey

enVision Math objectives
Old 07-06-2011, 12:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have a pacing calendar or some kind of list of the learning objectives for each lesson in the third grade enVision math program? I've been asked to include them in our plans for next school year, but my books are all packed away in my classroom.

Is anyone else being asked to use enVision with the Common Core standards? If so, how do you plan to use it? My school just invested in it last year, right before the switch, and my principal wants us to continue using it as much as possible. Our rep sent us a "Transition Kit" that supposedly shows how we can still use the books we already have to teach the Common Core (with additional lessons worked in). I'm just not sure I buy it... Of course, that may have something to do with the fact that I don't LOVE the program anyways.

Thanks in advance for any help you may offer!

MsMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

cupcake1022

Online?
Old 07-06-2011, 04:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi!

We are scheduled to begin Envision Math this year too. I am looking forward to it, the books seem great and I love all of the online features. Did you get a code to register yourself? I don't have mine at home, but we got it at the end of the year. You can go on line and everything should be on there for you to access as far as the TE's go. Hope this helps. Our current text is awful so maybe that's why I'm looking forward to it!
cupcake1022 is offline   Reply With Quote

LarkspurLady

Old 07-06-2011, 04:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

http://www.pennsauken.net/3math/ This is not my school's website, but it might help with your pacing. Specific objectives are not listed.

A bit of advice - combine easier lessons after you get settled in. We had to do this to finish teaching all the skills before our state tests..............Also, you are likely going to have to do your own fast facts.
LarkspurLady is offline   Reply With Quote

FishyH

Old 07-06-2011, 07:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am moving to third grade from first, but I do have our pacing guide. I am not on my normal computer, but if you send me a message I will happily send it to you. It lines up with our outcomes.

From my experience in first, LarkspurLady is definitely right. You will probably end up doing a lot of combining. My 1st year I would end up teaching an easy lesson with time leftover, whereas last year I combined a lot of them or skipped some that were repeats.

The online resources are definitely awesome, but of course, like any program it has it's downfalls. If you send me a message, I will get you the pacing guide we use
FishyH is offline   Reply With Quote

leebez

Envision
Old 07-06-2011, 07:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I just went to a week long seminar based on the idea that our US curriculum is an "inch deep and a mile wide" - we looked at our math programs to see how we can go deeper with concepts and really teach kids math not "Number grabbing" and computation. BTW, Common Core will help with that a lot...In the meantime, I suggest you look at each topic and find the essential math - I have used the program in 3rd for one year and in 1st for several years. You will not need to teach EVERY lesson. The real math is in there but you have to look at each topic to weed out the less important math. I would suggest the Performance assessments at the end of each topic as a place to start looking for the concepts that are important. If you can get online you can find it all. Good luck - it is not a bad program if you try not to do every lesson...

leebez is offline   Reply With Quote

MsMonkey

Thanks, all!
Old 07-06-2011, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I got all of the objectives for the lessons that are supposed to correlate with the Common Core. I needed to put them in our pacing calendar, because there's at least one teacher on my team who just can't stand to stray from the text.

You are absolutely right about EnVision! I started using the Performance Asessments last year and I really like them. I definitely don't plan on using every lesson. Afterall, there are so many other wonderful ways to teach math that don't involve a textbook! I use the Engage lessons and some of the guided practice to teach the objectives. When we first got the program I thought the online animated lessons would be really neat, but I found them to be a little underwhelming. I would really love to get some Investigations units to supplement as well. The problem-based approach to Investigations seems more fitting to the goal of the Common Core.

My advice for using EnVision is not to get too caught up in the packaged deal they offer. It is definitely an awesome resource, but relying on it as is will not get your kids where they need to go. Of course, the same could be said for most programs out there.

hello3

Old 07-07-2011, 12:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you for the link. We start Envision for the new school year. It seems very overwhelming so all the advice is appreciated.
hello3 is offline   Reply With Quote

teach1978

Pacing guide...
Old 07-07-2011, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Here is the pacing guide we came up with for this year for enVisions.
Jessica
Attached Files
File Type: doc 3rd Grade Pacing Guide.doc (164.0 KB, 466 views)
teach1978 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherWiz

We're using enVision Math
Old 07-08-2011, 09:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

for the first time this upcoming year. During our inservice, the rep said we need to start with the first chapter and work through the book, especially for the first year until we become more acquainted. Your thoughts?

Also, I was impressed with it when we evaulated it last year; I even used some of the sample resources in my class. Some of your comments are good, some not so much - which I suppose is normal. Any feedback regarding how to make the program a success would be appreciated. While we will probably be trying to incorporate Common Core, we're not officially using them until next year.

Thanks for your input!
TeacherWiz is offline   Reply With Quote

LarkspurLady

TeacherWhiz
Old 07-08-2011, 09:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

You asked a sticky question. Do you teach enVision in order as presented?

Our third grade team DID teach it in order. This is helpful if you are going to use the Daily Spiral Review with each lesson, which I highly recommend. Otherwise, students will not have skills needed to work these pages.

Our fourth grade team DID NOT teach it in order because several schools in the district wanted to teach topics in a sequence they were comfortable with. Our district requires common assessments among all the schools, so the schools had to agree on the sequence during pacing guide creations........The fourth grade team is hoping to teach in order this year.

Now that Common Core is in the picture, all the pacing guides will have to be reworked yet again. Always a work in progress.
LarkspurLady is offline   Reply With Quote

MsMonkey

TeacherWiz
Old 07-09-2011, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I noticed that the latest version of EnVision is actually designed to match up with the Common Core. I would assume that your school would have purchased that version? That would be lucky, because it would help smoothen your transition.

My school has the slightly older version, so there are actually quite a few lessons that do not match up with the Common Core and many Common Core standards that there are not lessons for. Supposedly, we will be getting lessons that EnVision has created to fill in those gaps. My team has decided to teach in a slightly different order than what is laid out in our version of EnVision. We have organized our units in order of the Common Core domains. Since there are still some older standards we need to teach during this transition time, we are developing our own "spiral review" and working in some extra review from the mini-lessons we'll be using to cover old standards... It's a LOT of work.

Last year we followed EnVision in the order it was laid out and I used the Spiral Reviews too. I liked the Spiral Reviews and Quick Checks, as well as the Performance Assessments. I think EnVision is a pretty decent program, as math programs go. My biggest complaint would be that the one component they used as a big selling point to us, the digital lessons, actually weren't all that impressive. I didn't use them very often and had much more success with the "Engage" lessons. I will definitely use a lot of components of EnVision this year, but I'm not going to be tied down to it. I'll still be keeping my eyes open for other resources and lessons. If I find better lessons, I'll supplement with them. It's a good program, it's just not the be all and end all of math education... but what program is?

MsMonkey

Other resources
Old 07-09-2011, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Here are some other resources I've stumbled upon or that have been suggested to me by other here on PT, just in case any of you are looking for more ideas:
Variety of interactive whiteboard resources, organized by domains and skills: http://www.k-5mathteachingresources....Resources.html
Examples of math journals, displays, and classroom design. Plus multiple resources: http://www.k-5mathteachingresources.com/index.html
Week-by-Week Essentials activities, classroom math strategies: http://mathlearnnc.sharpschool.com/c...pageId=5051238
Brain Pop and Brain Pop Jr. lessons with Common Core Standard correlations: http://www.brainpop.com/educators/state_standards/
Hundreds of lessons organized by CCS domains: http://nsdl.org/browse/commcore/math/?id=3.MD
Detailed explanation and correlated resources: http://www.education.ohio.gov/GD/Doc...umentID=105323

Ms. Magnolia

Old 08-03-2011, 10:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Thank you so much for posting the pacing guide...its a great start!
Ms. Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote