"Johnny can spell" - ProTeacher Community

musicalteach

"Johnny can spell"
Old 07-07-2011, 08:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We are getting a new spelling/ phonics program, "Johnny can spell". I am looking for my fellow PTers thoughts/ ideas (positive or negative). TIA

musicalteach is offline   Reply With Quote

cmcnab

Not a fan:)
Old 07-07-2011, 10:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My district has used this program for years and I don't like it. At least in my school, the emphasis was placed on memorizing the phonograms and doing weekly dictation tests. Struggling kids were spending so much time on their phonograms that they didn't have enough time to actually spend on reading. Students who could memorize the phonograms and get 100's every week on the test still couldn't look at a phonogram like "ay" in a word and know to say the long a sound, yet they could quote "2 letter a that we do use at the end of English words." It is helpful to give the phonograms a name like "o the o of boat" for oa. In spelling I never liked that we were asked to "think to spell" and stretch out the sounds in irregular words like the. It did work for phonetically regular words though. I was very happy this spring because we finally adopted a new spelling curriculum which we hoped would be the end of Johnny Can Spell, but with the way things are going at the state level here in Texas, I don't think the state is going to provide any new textbooks this year so I guess we are stuck with what we have.
Sorry to be so negative- maybe someone out there has had a better experience with this program!
cmcnab is offline   Reply With Quote

Katyproud

We've had this for years
Old 07-07-2011, 10:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The program as it is written is pretty intense and when we first got the program we all had to attend a two day training. Over time it has been adjusted and most teachers use it the way it works best for them and their class. It takes several weeks to introduce all the phonograms and then you review for the rest of the year.

I like the phonogram cards and refer to them constantly in reading, writing and spelling. I find that most kids pick them up very quickly, but if they don't they will struggle with it all year. I do not like the handwriting aspect of it and was thrilled when we switched to a different handwriting program.

It takes a while for the kids to connect the phonograms on the cards to spelling and again you will find some get there quickly while others just won't see the connection.

We were supposed to get a new phonics program this year but with finances like they are I don't think that is going to happen.
Katyproud is offline   Reply With Quote

musicalteach

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2011, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have currently been using Classroom Phonics which became Saxon Phonics. How do JCS compare to Classroom/ Saxon?
musicalteach is offline   Reply With Quote
guest148

guest148

This takes all morning...
Old 10-01-2011, 08:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I had never heard of Johnny Can Spell before I started working at my current school. I absolutely hate it. We have to teach it exactly as it states in the lesson planner and teacher guide. Every day we have to review all of the phonograms, give a dictation test, review the dictation test, review the spelling words, test on the spelling words, and introduce three new words. The tests must be graded and sent home daily so the small planning period I do have is taken up by grading papers. I have no time for reading workshop, writing workshop, or guided reading groups. I don't have time to add in anything extra or have themed units. I am absolutely miserable, and my students are bored to death. If anyone has a choice, stay as far away from this as possible. It works great for your higher kids that will always catch on, but the low ones don't really benefit at all.