How to teach metric system - ProTeacher Community

dlynneteacher

How to teach metric system
Old 03-03-2007, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What is the best way to teach metric system? I don't like our textbook, and I have not been using it. I have been teaching customary measurement using patterns and input/output charts. The kids really get it this way. But I can't figure out how to change that over to metric? What works best in third grade? any ideas woud be really helpful.

jams44

Mneumonic
Old 03-03-2007, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Teaching the basic units or teaching conversion?

I teach middle school but always use King Henry Died . drinking chocolate milk.
Using the intitials to be kilo, hecto, deka, unit, deci, centi, milli.
Then the kids decide where they are moving to or from and count over to move the decimal. Add zeros if needed.

I have a powerpoint but not sure how to attach it to the board.

teachnkids

metric
Old 03-04-2007, 08:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My textbook does a really long chapter with standard measurement--inch, foot, yd, mi., ounce, pound, and liquid measurement plus metric, time and temperature. The first year I taught it my kids were so overwhelmed with numbers and conversions that I decided the next year to break the chapter into 3 parts. It's still a lot of numbers to remember, but it sure makes it easier. It is just hard to teach this to them. They try so hard!!!! I try to get as many hands on lessons as possible so that they have something tangible to relate to. I start metric this week and am dreading it!!! No words of wisdom here, just feel your concerns.
LAthird

LAthird

I'm trying something new
Old 03-07-2007, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have a story from a book (Fairy Tale Math, I think) that has a story about Tom Thumb and he is as tall as a centimeter. The story mentions how he uses a blueberry for a soccer ball and so on. I'm doing this lesson for an observation and I plan to get students to imagine what they would use for various things from the story before I actually read the story.

I also got ideas from the archives and plan to use those too. I'll have the students make a centimeter ruler using cm cubes, and we'll put them in groups of ten to make meters.

intheloonybin

Double T-charts
Old 03-07-2007, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Double T-charts work perfectly for my students.

5 yards = ________feet

yds feet
1 (x3) 3
5 (x3) ___

Students know to multiply when 1 is in the first column and divide when 1 is in the last column.

tchrsrfuture

measurement ideas
Old 03-10-2007, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I teach measurement in 3 steps. I teach metric and customary length together---then the metric and customary capacity together---and finally the weight measurement for metric and customary together. I test on the 3 units individually. It condenses it down to a manageable unit. Of course, I then test on the entire measurement unit.