Stations for students - ProTeacher Community

mundaymoose

Stations for students
Old 07-13-2011, 05:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am wanting to set up my room in stations to better serve my students, I need some help. ANy ideas or sites that you know if please send my way!! THANKS!

mundaymoose is offline   Reply With Quote

SDT

Old 07-13-2011, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Can you give us a bit more information so that we can give you some good suggestions? How old are your students? What exceptionalities do you serve? Do your students have any physical or sensory issues that will impact their ability to access the stations or the activities in them? What are the primary skills you need to address from the curriculum and from your IEPs?
SDT is online now   Reply With Quote

mundaymoose

Old 07-13-2011, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I serve mainly autistic children and I was thinking doing stations in order to meet the needs of each child so that I could work one on one with them as well as allow them some independence. I have students in 2nd and 4th, I want to concentrate on doing things such as math and reading things as well as giving them some freedom to choose a few activities. I would also do class activities but it is so hard to do while group instruction to meet the needs of all my kids.
mundaymoose is offline   Reply With Quote

lamom318

Love Stations!
Old 07-21-2011, 10:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I teach a special class for students with Autism. Last year I had Kindergarteners and a 2nd grader. After the kids checked their schedule for stations, each adult (2 paras, speech therapist, and myself) would work with a student for 15 minutes and then the timer would go off to rotate. We each have our own visual timer at our station as well. We do two sets of stations during the day, but one doesn't involve the speech therapist. Each adult works on different subjects and IEP objectives. Our stations are divided by partitions so that the students are less distracted. Everyone has the materials they are going to use for each task at their station ready to go so there is little down time.
lamom318 is offline   Reply With Quote

vallampkin

Old 07-22-2011, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Do you have any pictures of how your stations are set up? What kinds of things do you do in your stations. I also have K-2 with four of my students being autistic

vallampkin is offline   Reply With Quote

lamom318

Pictures of Stations in Classroom
Old 07-26-2011, 02:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

There is not an option for me to attach files to my posts. I do have pictures of my stations from last year as well as pictures of the token system we use. I've been rearranging my room for the past couple of days and am really excited to see how it turns out when we finally get everything in place. Let me know how to send you these pictures.

lamom318

What we do in stations
Old 07-26-2011, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

During stations we work one-on-one with each student. In the mornings, I usually work on ELA with my older student, and with my kindergarteners, I would work on word segmentation, sight words, sequencing, literacy folder games, etc. as well as HANDWRITING. Handwriting is what frustrates most of my students more than anything. In one fifteen minute session, I might work with a student on sight words, switch to self help skills (tie shoes, button buttons, etc.), then read a small book that has "Wh" questions velcroed inside with pictures from the Board Maker CD. Each paraprofessional will work on a different subject at their stations. My students have to follow their grade level curriculum, so we work on the academic objectives that their peers are working on, as well as their IEP objectives. Only one of my students works for verbal praise, so we use a token system that has made my life so much easier! I was fortunate enough to get a grant for 4 iPad2s last year, and there are so many wonderful apps for students with ASD. We use them during stations, class time, as reinforcers, etc. When I first started teaching the ASD class, stations was the time for working on IEP objectives. Now, after writing new IEPs, many of the ELA and Math objectives go hand in hand with the grade level expectations so it's easy mix them all together during stations (we do two sets of stations per day). Hope this makes sense...Was typing while carrying on a conversation with my preschooler.

Last edited by lamom318; 07-26-2011 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: add info

lsm2128

Old 07-30-2011, 10:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hey! I teach kids with autism also and I primarily follow the TEACCH (also known as structured teaching) model to promote independence and allow me the opportunity to work with kids 1:1 while the others are working at different stations on independent work. Google TEACCH and let me know if you would like more info!
lsm2128 is offline   Reply With Quote

vallampkin

Pictures
Old 08-02-2011, 06:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I am new to Proteacher and I don't know how to attch things yet...lol
but you can send them to vallampkin at yahoo dot com....I would apprecitate anything you have I just need to get a "picture" of how the stations should look
Thanks!!

vallampkin

Old 08-12-2011, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

thank you! you can send them to vallampkin at yahoo dot com